Home Technical Talk

3ds max file import/export search bar unable to copy/paste?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I bought some packages that only have max files so I have to use max and then export them as fbx so I can use in maya. I'm unfamiliar with max and unable to find answer to this question via search.

So in maya when using import, export, open, save as, etc, the menu bar allows me to highlight the text so I can copy/paste from windows explorer. But in max, I can't select that text string which means I got to go through clicking through entire file structures everytime. A real PITA. Any way around this?

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    You can "drop" the files from your folder into 3ds Max's viewport, it allows you to import them directly.
    Otherwise no idea. Never had to import too many files from multiple locations I guess... : /
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my case exporting is the main problem. I load in a huge archviz scene and want to export different parts of it to different places. Lot of clicking through hierarchies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    In my case exporting is the main problem. I load in a huge archviz scene and want to export different parts of it to different places. Lot of clicking through hierarchies

Ah ok. I focused on the "open" in your screenshot. Did some quick google and there seem to be multiple batch import/export scripts available on Scriptspot. Can't vouch for their functionality. Worst case you can assign a shortcut to your export, export them to one folder and replace them afterward? That's all I got for help. : /

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max uses a custom file dialog IIRC. To make it easier to use, I recommend adding shortcuts to Windows Quick Access. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The top bit isn't standard in windows, it keeps track of recently used locations and is not an editable field. 

You can simply paste the path you want to go to in the file field just as you would with any other windows dialog  
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

here's a screen from max 2019. The history bar there doesn't allow input like normal windows explorer. Usually I keep file explorer open on second screen and can just click the bar copy and paste, but because this bar in max is history only (not allowing user input directly) I can't do that.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can paste any path you want into the file field at the bottom of the dialog, hit enter and it will take you there
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

awesome that works. A little unintuitive because its different from explorer and also labeled "file name" not path, but w/e now I know. Thanks
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's standard windows behaviour.  All address fields inherit from the same base  class so this will work in almost all applications