Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mecha Robot

Wolfer
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
Hi there thought I share the texture I'm working on for my robot. I made the model following an udemy video. Then i decided to see about unwrapping it and texturing it on my own.  I wanted to hear how it looks and wondering if anyone had any suggestions or anyway I could improve it. This is a wip and its being made with substance painter.

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Hey, I'm not saying this to be mean but the robot is not really good. It looks badly designed modeled and textured. I would recommend doing a couple of tutorials before starting own projects. You can find very good hard surface modeling and texturing tutorials on the internet. I'll give you some links :)

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    ^ He was a bit more rash than I would have been but I can't say he's wrong. The model could be a lot better but I don't think this comes from technical incompetence(apart from the spikes and some visible stretching on the uvs on the pauldrons)

When you're modelling something completely from imagination, it's harder for us to help you because we don't really know what's inside your head and when you model something straight from 3d without sketching it first, you're going to unconsciously model forms that are simpler to model. A lot of cool looking concepts have weird shapes that would be hard to model, you're going to avoid those shapes if you were to model them straight in a viewport.

Now I'm not going to tell you to delete your entire inspiration folder, burn your sketchbook and model 8 variations of tim bergholz's akm for the next 6 months (please don't)

But following a couple tutorials, to get your technical game up, isn't a bad idea

Don't even have to model exactly  what the tutorial is making, maybe have a crack at a mech that looks a lot like the mech you're making, Warhammer 40k's sexy knight paladins, and use that tim bergholz mech tutorial as a reference.

IMPERIAL KNIGHTS BLOOD raven angels knight PALADIN Warhammer 40K
    Knight Paladin  Warhammer 40k Wiki  Fandom

Or if you're doing this to be the guy making the concepts in the first place,

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Klvxr

https://drawabox.com/

Learning some visual design principles, and how to sketch are places I'd start with

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'll avoid talking about design, as the two comments above covered that. Are you beveling your edges? A lot of the edges look super sharp and could use some roundness to them. The spikes on the shoulders look like 4 triangles, but have soft edges. If you want round spikes, you should be using cones with more subdivs, unless this is meant for mobile or something. For texturing, if you're set on the red and purple, throw either blue *or* orange in there for some complimentary colouring. I would also put some grunge in the hard to reach areas of the mech, as well as putting a bottom to top gradient to make the feet a bit darker.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is more about how to use the Polycount forum better:

You don't need to make a new thread everytime there is a WIP update.

Just post new WIP entries ones here.  Helps give the whole project a story.

• Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    ookkk bit cofused but i appreciate it. 
    Fdfxd i appreciate the info but there is something i should mentio. The model, I had it where I was following the udemy video someone did, an old one it seem and this is how it turned out. Didn't go into painter but I wanted to challenge myself by trying to see about unwrapping it and texturing it. I guess the person didn't go a good job with showing me to model but I'll keep that in mind.  I will say this model isn't for a game, this is just something i wanted to try from a video and wanted to see about trying to unwrap it and paint it myself
    Ashervisilia  thank you for the advice o the color. I'll look into that and didn't know the other color turned out purple was trying to go with another color so maybe i will try to make the purple blue or orange.  Also looking into the grunge to add more and I appreciate it.

Also I am very well aware of Tim courses. I have done some of his and he is helpful. But there is one question that does come to me, can his techinque be used to make the model in blender because he uses 3ds max.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From Max to Blender, concepts SHOULD hold.  From what I've experienced in the past several years, what mostly changes between programs is HOW the program does something.  Basically understanding the button in Max is this whole other button in Blender.

It can be frustrating translating that process though, but ideas like control edge loops or boolean modeling, etc. are still consistent.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Ok thank you. Just I sorta lost my 3ds max so have to switch to blender.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You can also follow a Blender tutorial instead of translating a max tutorial to blender. The Blender community has produced a lot of good tutorials to learn hard surface modeling. Just make sure its a Blender 2.8+ tutorials.
  • Fletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletcher polycounter lvl 11
    I could not recommend this tutorial series by Neil Blevins more - http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm especially part 3) Composition. There are some very basic yet very useful things to look at. 
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    if we're just talking textures I'd say the normal map bumps should be a lot smaller, but genuinely I don't think the bumps work if you want the material to be shiny especially for the screws, a rougher material for the metal would work better, you'll also wanna make the arm cannon more metallic, maybe look up some old fashioned cannons for reference, rust , grime and scratches in general would help the believably of the textures, and some wires and tubes connecting the arm cannon to the arm or body would help make the arm look less structurally unsound.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    I really appreciate the info. Actually the weapon is attach to something, just the pictures i took of it don't show it lol. But will definetly keep that in mind when doing that. Thank you.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Texturing this robot dude is a tough one because I'm missing the feeling of scale. Is he 10 meters or 10 cm tall?

Butttt  Its just an idea but the shape of the robot looks like a toy or at least a small robot like the ones from the series Robot Wars :smiley: There is this big hand!e and huge screws.  Maybe work with this shapes for your textures and try to make a deadly toy robot, that means work with big scales and patches from sponsored companies and bulges from fought fights.

Anyway keep working on that guy! 
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks.  Also I will say this, the robot when I made it I was following a tutorial on Udemy so made sure to do it exactly how he did it.  Will say this isn't for a game but wanted to see about taking the model and doing a texture to it and all. Thanks for the input :)
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    So I took the time to see what I could do with the robot in substance painter. I try to add some scratches and as for grunge i add in some but lightly as I felt too much ruin it. So here is how it looks. Any suggestions on how I could improve it and just a heads up, can't change the model, the challenge was to use substance painter to paint this model.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you show the roughness map of the model?
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Sure here you go.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Nice colours :) maybe change the yellow spikes to the same blue as in your model.

Also you could overlay cour cavity Bake texture to make the edges pop more  out.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Actually already did something about the spikes. Changed the spikes to be neutral.
    Now got to ask, by overlay cour cavity is that the name of a material or smart material i could use and by edges to mean all the edges.
    Here is how the changes for the spike made

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blue trim on the red armor should be raised in the height map section.

Your edge wear needs to make more sense instead of being unformly applied.   Think about what actually gets knicked and dinged during operation.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    I'll fix the blue trim

Now just wondering by knick and ding, do you mean for roughness as in i should add a fill layer with roughness so the roughness has a mixture around to it. Is that what you mean by edgewear i get these terms mixed up
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knicks and dings = edge wear and other damage details

• Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Ohhh that what you mean. make it where it doesn't look so uniform but random from different actions that happen.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not random, INTENTIONAL.

Think about where it's gonna be shot.  Think about which surfaces usually hit something.

Like does it make sense an ammunition belt gets a lot, if ANY, wear and tear if it's constantly moving, being replaced, etc?

Does it make sense the feet get as damaged as the head?

There needs to be a directionality read to the wear and tear.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Ohhhhhh. That what you mean.