Home Technical Talk

Blender Auto-Smooth not working on shallow edge

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I'm trying to smooth out this shape but I am getting a hard edge in the circled area even though I have auto-smooth enabled with a setting of 50 degrees. Even when I set it to 100 degrees it still remains. If I turn off autosmooth, the whole mesh smooths out.  I am a 3DS user so maybe I am not understanding how this works. There are no double verts/edges in the mesh and it doesn't look like there is anything funny with the mesh. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Yerus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    I usually don't use autosmooth, but rather RMB on object mode and smooth shade it, it works for me.. to keep some edges hard it's about sustaining them because autosmooth doesn't work in other softwares or engines.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    is it marked sharp? rightclick on the edge loop and clear sharp.

is this uv'd? it may be a texture seam.

does the smoothing change if you scale out that loop at all?

• guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges said:
    is it marked sharp? rightclick on the edge loop and clear sharp.

is this uv'd? it may be a texture seam.

does the smoothing change if you scale out that loop at all?

Thanks heaps for that. I solved the problem. It was 'marked sharp' even though I don't remember ever assigning it as sharp. Even when I would delete that whole section and rebuild it from scratch it would still appear sharp. All good now. 
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus said:
    I usually don't use autosmooth, but rather RMB on object mode and smooth shade it, it works for me.. to keep some edges hard it's about sustaining them because autosmooth doesn't work in other softwares or engines.
    Thanks for that. Will Auto-smooth transfer over to Marmoset Toolbag because this is a port folio piece.
  • GnarlyPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    GnarlyPotato triangle
    Yeah, it will transfer. General idea is to make whole model smooth, Auto Smooth on 180 and then assign sharp edges as needed. You could also give 'Weighted Normal' modifier with Keep Sharp on a try.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it will transfer. General idea is to make whole model smooth, Auto Smooth on 180 and then assign sharp edges as needed. You could also give 'Weighted Normal' modifier with Keep Sharp on a try.
    Thank you so much. Very helpful. Im very new to Blender.