Home Career & Education

Getting Game Ideas..

Hello,

I want to create a Game but somehow i only have big Game Ideas in my mind wich gonna take me 1 Year i want to make a small Game because i never have made a game before..

How do you come for Game Ideas?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Focus on making one system of gameplay really fun.

Like Flappy Bird, as an example.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Games come in all shapes and sizes, taking a matter of minutes or years to make. So if you're asking for direction I'd recommend research on how a simple 'sticky' game like flappy bird was made, then scale your expectations accordingly. 
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Figure out what kind of game you want to play but doesnt exist yet. If the idea is too big for you to pull off in a solo setup, pick out one aspect that you think captures the essence of the game and start from there.

Just get comfortable with experimentation and be willing to scrap what you have if your core concept it isnt working.

In my experience the best ideas come from going through a lot of prototypes and taking note of the best aspects of your experiments, so dont wait for that perfect idea to present itself. Making your own game takes a long time and a lot of effort, so if this is something you're serious about just know theres a lot of work ahead of you.

Good luck!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If starting out some ideas I think are good:
    clone exisiting game and put your spin on it
    work within established genre tropes, only inserting your unique story/art content
    walking sim focused on narrative
    simple prototype game built around a single mechanic

You either want to focus mainly on design, keeping technicals dead simple, or focus on technicals, working from an established design. Try to do something novel with both is too much work for soloist and/or beginner.