Home Technical Talk

Maya student to Blender

ive been using the student version of maya for years now and am trying to learn to use blender. If a model was originally created using student maya, then later imported to and edited in blender, are you allowed to sell those models? I have old models that were originally made in student maya a while ago and would like to touch them up, i was just wondering if id be able to sell them in the future.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ethically, no.

You accepted the contract with Autodesk when you used an edu version of their software. Basically, to use it only for learning, not for production.

Autodesk may be a large Corp, but their employees need to eat, just like you do. Shorting them is akin to others shorting you as a future game developer.

Another way to put it... how would you feel if people pirated your models?

In practice though, no one would likely be any the wiser. Except you, and your conscience.

An easy way to solve this is to just remake those models from scratch. You've likely learned a ton since then, and can apply that knowledge towards learning more about how Blender works.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    The CEO of Autodesk made 9 million dollars last year. I don't think he's in any danger of starving. I wouldn't it dwell on your conscience too much.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's not the only employee. Many of us depend on others to pay us for the work we do. Whether that's a studio, or a freelance client, or a software company we work for. Autodesk is no different in this regard.

Also, we don't condone piracy here, in any form. Does it happen? Yes. Can we talk about it here? Sure. Do we promote or suggest people skirt software contracts so they don't have to pay? No.
  • Vallar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vallar polycounter lvl 8
    As Eric said, the educational license is for learning only, not production. Anything you've made under that license can not be used in anything commercially directly. Unless you get a consent from Autodesk to make an exception (not likely). 

That said, after this post, if you try to, it will look bad for your career anyway. 

My suggestion, they are a few models and you're likely to make many more -- specially now that you've picked up Blender so most likely as you learn it you'll create a few models down the way. Don't think about them too much. If you want to really use them, then recreate them inside Blender from scratch. That or put them up as a portfolio piece or maybe even a before/after article that might talk about how you can touch up an old model or a tutorial.