Home General Discussion

Is this fake?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hello,
so for example if i'm crafting a 3d character for the  portfolio purposes, character have one mechanical hand, if i use kitbash to assembly the hand out of various mecha tiny parts is it considered as fake? 
should i avoid that or proceed ?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i just going to ramble a bit because taking day off and bored: 

on one hand, in a game if you are making things from scratch that seems like really inefficient use of labor and probably not too many places making much of anything from scratch. especially if you already have a few games under the studios belt, must be an enormous library of content to draw from. I can't imagine a character artist at EA should ever need to sculpt a human face from scratch.  I am working on a game with a handful of characters and with less than $100 spent I already have a library of characters that can quickly be multiplied many times with minimal effort.

on other hand, kitbashing a scene together might demonstrate artistic vision but not technical skills as much. Safer bet to demonstrate your skill as production artist would be to make your own art from scratch. But if you have to retopo and essentially rebuild all the kitbash items to get it optimized for realtime applications, i don't see why that doesn't demonstrate full skillset anyway.  

if i was hiring an artist to help with my project, i really don't care how they get the work done, just that they can make accurate time estimates, understand and meet specific technical demands, and hit the quality mark i need. for all of that i think i'd really need an art test to decide. portfolio only weeds out those who clearly can't make appealing art.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you make something new with it, no.
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
    Simple rule for life: credit where the credit is due.

Your credit in this case is character modeling and hand design using kitbash parts. Kitbash artist's credit is kitbash modeling. Just visibly note that you used someone's kitbash parts for the hand.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Here is a link where the guy kind of kit bashed his own character. I think this is a great approach:https://www.zbrushcentral.com/t/zaghrat-04/206051

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    uggh , gone off characters anyway. started working on environments :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    kanga said:
    Here is a link where the guy kind of kit bashed his own character. I think this is a great approach:https://www.zbrushcentral.com/t/zaghrat-04/206051

lovely, probably also include 'photo bashing' in there too :+1:
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Is using megascans fake?
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    It's efficient
  • Pieuvre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieuvre polycounter lvl 3
    Not, it's not fake, you can't create anything from zero, even if you model it yourself, you will end up using a reference, ergo, creating something that already exist, creativity is quite an illusion, for example we are all using techniques that were created by someone else, software developed by other people, nothings is really made by yourself. 

Now, If you are doing this in the hope to get a job at modeling you should know how it is done, because what clients need may not be the material that is available, so you should at least have the idea how to make the material you have in hand, clients don't care if it's from scratch as long as you get the job done and you don't infringe any copyright.

conclusion, just the product matters, if it's a good product it doesnt matter if its done from scratch, or if its done by several people or whatever, just the quality matter (and of course the respect for copyright)

• Lucaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
    when I think of kitbashing I always think of Neville page and he's one of the most prolific designers IMO
  • GnarlyPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GnarlyPotato triangle
    Don't be too hard on yourself, kitbash is as standart as anything else in 3d just give the original kitbash kit artist some credit and you're fine imo.