Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter non Preserve strokes reprojection errors

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
hi , during a blockout phase where we tend to change proportions and retain uv`s there will be detail lines painted on models.
Since proportions shift "Preserve strokes" doesnt work for what we`re doing so disabling it logically made me believe that it would just keep everything stationary on the uv as it was.

After doing some tests i noticed that strokes made in 3d view will not be retained properly. they don`t get reprojected like what happens when you preserve strokes but for some reason they`ll all shift. lines made in uv view however seem to stay in place

Is there a way to prevent that and just have the details stay the same on these uv islands?

after import note that the blue line and the red line that were painted in 3d space have moved

if you want to test for yourself , open the reprojecttest.spp and reimport the mesh with Objects_moved.fbx with preserve strokes positions on mesh disabled.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Unfortunately that's how Painter works today. Any stroke drawn in the 3D view is saved only in 3d space, not in UV space. 
    The Preserve stroke option allows you to project correctly even if your mesh was scaled uniformly or translated (the bounding box still has the same proportions), but it won't solve UV changes.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Jerc!
    Oh thats unfortunate, so is there no way to flatten the mask so it doesnt use any stroke preservation?
    If not are there any plans for storing uv space data to address this issue in future versions or maybe having the option to calculate the conversion before reimport if preserve strokes is disabled? I imagine that could be done between 3d space and uv space in some way?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We've talked about it several times, but it's not trivial and currently not on the roadmap.