Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Hand Drill

OscarEsteban5
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
OscarEsteban5 polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys!
This is my latest asset, in this project I wanted to practise a hard surface and texturing a little bit, and this is how it finally turned out. Hope you like it, and if you want to know a little bit more about this project and my other stuff, you can visit this Artstation project link https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KaNezB

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a great start! The wear patterns though seem very procedural, not relative to function. Looks like it was buried for years, rather than used for years. Probably due to only using automatic masking in Substance Painter. I'd suggest looking more at real equipment, and basing your masks on real-world wear patterns.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Just wanted to add something to what eric said:
    - the edges are quite sharp in places, especially the lever metal part
    - sometimes the transition between rust and paint is more a gradient than a sharp edge. Your model has only this sharp transition which is kinda unrealistic
    - paint chips consistently on different size objects. Meaning, the chips are roughly the same size on big objects as well as small ones. Meaning, your small parts and surfaces should be more rusted or more painted and not covered with thin strips of paint or lots of small paint pockets.
    - the drill bit looks like it hasnt aged one bit.
    Dont get me wrong, your model looks good but only from afar. Once you zoom in the cracks start to show (pun intended).
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a great start! The wear patterns though seem very procedural, not relative to function. Looks like it was buried for years, rather than used for years. Probably due to only using automatic masking in Substance Painter. I'd suggest looking more at real equipment, and basing your masks on real-world wear patterns.
    Yeah, the masks are just a little bit customized, however I will look for good reference images and reduce the amount of rust.
    Thank you so much for the feedback :)
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Just wanted to add something to what eric said:
    - the edges are quite sharp in places, especially the lever metal part
    - sometimes the transition between rust and paint is more a gradient than a sharp edge. Your model has only this sharp transition which is kinda unrealistic
    - paint chips consistently on different size objects. Meaning, the chips are roughly the same size on big objects as well as small ones. Meaning, your small parts and surfaces should be more rusted or more painted and not covered with thin strips of paint or lots of small paint pockets.
    - the drill bit looks like it hasnt aged one bit.
    Dont get me wrong, your model looks good but only from afar. Once you zoom in the cracks start to show (pun intended).
    I think I rushed a little bit uploading the project to my portfolio.
    I've written down your tips, I agree with you in every point, so I will look for good references and I will tweak the materials.
    Thank you for your feedback man, it's so appreciated.