Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cleopatra

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Alexander_Beim polycounter lvl 2
Cleopatra CG Character. Cleopatra is a personal project. Design was artistically developed without any claim to historical truth. For sculpting I used ZBrush, for hairs Maya xgen interactive grooming tools. For rendering Arnold.

More on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oRw4J

Follow me also on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lotusart_cgi/

Replies

• Alexander_Beim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. No critiques??  :)  This mean it is perfect?  B)
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    That looks great, I think its a matter or style the reflection(roughness) for the headdress seem like its a bit much(close to 0 roughness), however if you want it to look almost supernaturally immaculate than thats fine.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Its beautiful!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    shes beautiful but looks like a white girl playing as an egyptian. doesn't matter i suppose but you asked for a critique so that's my offering.

design wise there is no way that crown stays on without a beefy chinstrap but again, who cares really. it looks cool so that's all that matters I suppose.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    I think cleopatra was Macedonian Greek with a possibility of 1/4 egyptian so it might not be far off.  but who knows, nobody was there at the time. Being Egypt and the desert/sun she would probably still look a little darker from a natural tan.  I think it looks good. the gold looks a bit to perfect.  for the gold, mess a bit with the roughness/metallic.  maybe add some AO and cavity in the roughness.  it might help give a  bit of gradients on the reflection.  or I would paint some into it if needed.  
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The eye lids inner duct looks a bit long/stretched, and the hairs micro braids have a bit too much body to them, but that's being really nit-picky.

Great work! :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Lovely portrait and artistically aligned theatrical presentation besides.
  • Alexander_Beim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for commenting friends. There is a scientific opinion that in fact Cleopatra was not beautiful and with a hunched nose. But for me, Cleopatra is the personification of female beauty and treachery. Beauty that is addictive, but then kills. Therefore, the description says: Design was artistically developed without any claim to historical truth. The fact that she has white skin. I heard that the queen was bathed in milk and not only))) And at all times, the arrestocrats were distinguished by fair skin and avoided the sun. I do not think that she worked in the fields or could calmly walk around in the city.  :)
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    looks so good so far!
  • Carlos Eduardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlos Eduardo polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing work! Such a beautiful model and the render is fantastic! Very inspiring!
  • HelionDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HelionDark polycounter lvl 2
    Looks Great! wonder how she woud look in marble as statue. about ethnicity well  whole Mediterranean have shades of white and i think for royalty not being on sun as peasants was must.
  • jod13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jod13 triangle
    I understand this is not meant to be historically accurate, and I don't think that's a problem, but for the record, Cleopatra VII was from a line of Macedonians, aka Greeks, that had intermarried (particularly siblings) for hundreds of years. The family tree is more like a family circle with all the inbreeding, and Cleopatra was literally the first ruler in her entire lineage (a dynasty of 300 years that died with Cleopatra/her son) to actually learn Egyptian, something that endeared the people to her rule. All of her relatives and predecessors didn't even bother to learn the language of the people they ruled over. In their casual and political lives, the Ptolemys spoke Greek. That isn't to say there was no possibility of Egyptian blood in the entire family, but it was overwhelmingly Greek blood and looks. So while a lot of historical art is whitewashed, in the case of Cleopatra, she was actually very much white, despite ruling over an area with a ton of people of color (though Alexandria, being a center of study and trade, had people from all over the world living and working there). There are only one or two semi accurate remaining pieces with her real looks (we mostly got distorted echos through Roman propaganda and Hollywood's inaccurate re-imaginings), and she was no portrait model, but the idea of a gorgeous, dangerous female ruler over a thousands years ago is certainly alluring. I agree with the previous specular comment coming down to personal opinion, but I love the way her eyes tie into the jade used in the jewelry! Beautiful fantasy-esque work :) 
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    some of the best art ive seen in general. very nice