Home Technical Talk

Creating inner mouth for production ?!

focus_method
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 5
Hello,
What is the right way when it comes to creating inner mouth of the character ?

I understand that teeth and tongue are separated elements/objects (or tools if we are talking in zbrush language) but what about that inner part ? (dunno how do you call it on english language)
and does it have to be separated as a different subtool so i can create different material for it ?
i need to uv it so it contain an uv island for itself (so one uv island just for inner mouth) ?

i found this on YT but it's not enough to cover this topic and give me the answers: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSsEfdzieRk

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    just look at how other models have done it, there is no set standard. will largely depend on your rig and/or cinematic needs. If you don't have any specific criteria beyond folio purposes, just do it easy style and make a basic mouth sack  with just enough teeth for whatever renders you are doing.

you can get the daz base models for free which use a mouth bag that includes geo for gums and tongue connected with separate teeth. the mouth bag is separated to it's own material.

Plenty of base meshes all over the internet you can find with just a bit of searching.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is on of the base meshes i've found on the internet, it was in different polygroups and i splitted them...

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benefit of splitting into polygroups like that is that you can easily hide one part if it's in the way of another. makes sculpting things like the inside part of the lips easier, or if you need to open the mouth for a morph target for baking it's easier if you can mask by polygroups.

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, u misunderstood me im afraid....
    im not working on this model, it's just a basemesh i downloaded as u said to see whats going on inside the mouth.
    This basemesh  was already polygrouped ,i just splitted for the purpose of this screenshot to see whats goind on
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i am just saying some of the benefits of organizing it that way. there is no standard, just benefits to doing things one way or another. thats why studying lots of different models is worthwhile. then when you face a problem on your own you'll have plenty of solutions in your mind you can try out.