Home Technical Talk

How facing billboards to camera works in sub-object level?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
I mean something like speed tree etc. With "cards" rotating to camera vector?  Do they have to be separate objects , gazilion of them really ?      Can it work in sub-object level  with groups of such rotating  "cards" be  one object ?        

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    If you have cards / billboards there aren't that many of them.. so not every leaf .. would look strange anyway.. But yes, basically every billboard is it's own (sub-)object.
    Different technical implementations might do some things bit differently but basically that's it.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    So every billboard is its own object with its own pivot, right?   Isn't it still too many of them  that way for an engine to sort .   Lots of  draw calls ets?           I recall we did kind of 2d sprites rendered on screen  and sorted/scaled  based on depth at some ancient times . Looked weird  although. 
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Draw calls depend on the technical implementation, sorting too. But yes they have all their own pivot in a way of 3d-transforms. Because they have to rotate around this pivot when billboarding.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe Speedtree uses batching to draw all those billboards in one draw call. They're all using the same material, so all the vertices are sent as one "call" to be rendered.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks Eric  . Did they publish any details about that  batching ?      i assume the sorting  of gazillion objects with alpha blend   could still be a a bottleneck.  

I am trying to figure out what way would be less FPS hungry:  individual  billboards   vs static geo "cards"  in X or Y shape  combined in  bigger groups + lods. 

A grass for example.  Some games do billboards , other  static ones .  Do somebody ever measured which approach is more efficient ?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Not much games uses billboards anymore. Just assign a separated material, so a shader can be assigned. Element pivot position is usually stored in foliages, so rotating them around that point is easy. But, they use this for complex foliage movement, not for turning them towards the camera.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Obscura said:
    Not much games uses billboards anymore. Just assign a separated material, so a shader can be assigned. Element pivot position is usually stored in foliages, so rotating them around that point is easy. But, they use this for complex foliage movement, not for turning them towards the camera.

So how it it in fact  works?  Elements are separate objects using its own object pivots  or each element is a vertex /poly group or something  using  certain transformation technique  by the shader ?      With elements pivots is  a separate point cloud or something?       
    I guess it might be possible to rotate a triangle (for grass) withing a bigger mesh  based on it's average calculated in run time middle point  and transform 3 vertexes accordingly   or it's crazy idea?

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not crazy. Its a shader all the time. Pivots can be stored in various ways. They can be baked into uvs, or vertex colors, or tiny data textures. The Unreal Engine pivot painter implementation uses data textures for example. And even data textures can be used in SIMD fashion. This still requires an extra uvmap though, where one element covers one pixel on the data texture. Then take the pivot point and rotate the vertices around it. For 3dsmax, there is a pivot painter plugin coming with Unreal. Its fairly simple to use. You can take the texture it spits out, and do anything with it inside the material editor.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Obscura said:
    Not crazy. Its a shader all the time. Pivots can be stored in various ways. They can be baked into uvs, or vertex colors, or tiny data textures. The Unreal Engine pivot painter implementation uses data textures for example. And even data textures can be used in SIMD fashion. This still requires an extra uvmap though, where one element covers one pixel on the data texture. Then take the pivot point and rotate the vertices around it. For 3dsmax, there is a pivot painter plugin coming with Unreal. Its fairly simple to use. You can take the texture it spits out, and do anything with it inside the material editor.
    Cool, thanks a lot  Obscura

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    gnoop said:
    So how it it in fact  works?  Elements are separate objects using its own object pivots  or each element is a vertex /poly group or something  using  certain transformation technique  by the shader ?      With elements pivots is  a separate point cloud or something?       
    From the technique I've seen, it works like this:

Using the CPU, you...

• Create a mesh and populate it with quads (separate pieces formed by 2 triangles).
      • Each quad is mapped to the entire UV space.
      • Each quad has their own pivot (an abstract point, since the quads are not separate objects, only separate geometry), and all quads start with their 4 vertices collapsed at the pivot point.

Using the GPU (vertex shader), you...

• Identify which corner of the quad the vertex belongs to. Since the UVs on a quad vertex will be one of (0.0, 0.0), (0.0, 1.0), (1.0, 0.0), (1.0, 1.0), this is enough to identify which corner it is, like "top-left", "bottom-right", that kind of thing.
    • You will offset that vertex using its UV coordinates and a scale factor to control the size of the quad.
      • Since all vertices are collapsed at the quad center/pivot, moving each vertex away will expand the quad and make it visible.
      • If you first transform the vertex with a ModelView matrix, you will bring it into the view-space (the eye/camera is the origin), so any offset that you make to the vertex in this space will keep the quad facing the camera plane, which is what's needed to give the billboard effect of it always facing the camera.
    • Store data in the vertex colors and vertex normal:
      • The red vertex color can be used to control the rotation of the quad ([0, 1] maps to [0, 2π]).
      • The green color can be used to control the horizontal scale and the blue color the vertical scale of the quad.
      • The vertex alpha can control the quad transparency.
      • The vertex normal (an XYZ vector) can be used to store other things, like atlas texture position, UV offset for warping effects etc. You can do this since the vertex normals can be recalculated as the normalized vector from the quad center to the offset corner position
    • If you don't want a quad to be visible at all you can keep its 4 vertices collapsed.

EDIT: If the texture coordinates, normals and vertex colors are not enough to store all the per-particle data you need, you can add more attributes (another texture coordinate set, aka UV channel) as needed.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks you very much RN.    Somehow I came to very similar idea too.    But my concern it might be not that much FPS efficient at all.   Initially I just wanted to do something like grass in Forza .  On my count  rotating cards needs 3-4 less of them  in total than usual chaos of multi-facing ones.     But now it seams that rotating ones  may eat up all the calculative advantage with such geometry transforming shader .
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is actually a similar case to Nanite in a sense that gpu can work in a more parallel way, when the data is provided in a texture. Niagara in Unreal holds a lot of data in textures. 1 sprite ->1 pixel on the atlas. An operation can be applied on all sprites at once (SIMD). A texture is just a 2d array. Or multiple 1d arrays if we count new rows in the texture as new array. The benefit of this and such an uv layout is that you can do operations on all elements of the array at once. Need to update the transform? Call the update once on the data texture->all sprites will be updated. This is far cheaper than updating them one by one. This doesn't even have huge memory or processing requirements. A 256x256 texture can hold one vector (position for example) for 65k sprites.

Check this out (data storage part):
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130535/building_a_millionparticle_system.php?print=1

Modern gpu based solutions uses a lot of data texture methods.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks for the link  Obscura.    A lot  to dig down.   A hole  new way of thinking about  geometry processing
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure to check out SIMD and get familiar with it if you aren't already. Its a way of processing things, and the way that a gpu generally prefers.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We could say that if your input and target array data layout matches - if the data set is a texture and the input output uvs matches, you can go SIMD. If this requirement meets, executing the given operation once is equal to if you did it on each element. Basically a texture sample here is a "for each". You can't apply this in all cases, or at least we haven't found a way, but a lot of algos can be done in this way with some modifications. Also keep in mind that this is not possible with cpu based solutions. You can create similar behavior with many cores, but you don't have that many yet.

Multiplying 2 textures on a given uv is SIMD. Or saying that transform the pixel values in this texture by these vectors is SIMD. This is why its super fast. Ideally, you want most if not all operations to be like this, if your processing unit is made to do things in this way.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a continuation of this story, maybe you can imagine already, as harsh as it sounds, the way realtime handles skeletal meshes and animation in general is total garbage. There are multiple bottlenecks...There are a few examples of animated "static" meshes using data textures, and you can do it on characters too. I'm not sure why this doesn't get bigger attention especially these days, because you can clearly place hundred times more characters if they are animated using vertex shader. There are also a few crowd implementations using such techniques.The statistics differences between 1000 traditional skeletal mesh and 1000 animated using vertex shader and data textures is shocking. Unfortunately I can't go into exact details regarding this as I experienced this in a certain project. But even just thinking about why this works quickly makes a lot of sense in my opinion. Please go ahead, make a split highly divided plane and move them using vertex shader to see. 

Take this part with a grain of salt as this is my experience and I started to be a little bit biased maybe, but the concept still applies.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks  a lot Obscura,   the last video is amazing .

One thing I still don't get although.   A texture can store each vertex position  in 3d space  like what's in new U5 demo stones I assume .  
    But how could it store timeline .  it's animated texture?   a new one for each new frame?   A new keys set?    A super long atlas  with each next frame in a certain new interval ?         I mean if UV is same?  Or it's separate set of  UV squeezed  to one pixel column ?

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Obscura said:
    As a continuation of this story, maybe you can imagine already, as harsh as it sounds, the way realtime handles skeletal meshes and animation in general is total garbage. There are multiple bottlenecks...There are a few examples of animated "static" meshes using data textures, and you can do it on characters too. I'm not sure why this doesn't get bigger attention especially these days, because you can clearly place hundred times more characters if they are animated using vertex shader. There are also a few crowd implementations using such techniques.The statistics differences between 1000 traditional skeletal mesh and 1000 animated using vertex shader and data textures is shocking. Unfortunately I can't go into exact details regarding this as I experienced this in a certain project. But even just thinking about why this works quickly makes a lot of sense in my opinion. Please go ahead, make a split highly divided plane and move them using vertex shader to see. 

Take this part with a grain of salt as this is my experience and I started to be a little bit biased maybe, but the concept still applies.
    If you can find it there's a GDC talk from a few years ago  about the crowd from planet coaster where they use similar techniques.

Gnoop,  in this context a texture is simply a structure for holding data that the GPU can access in a very efficient way,  there's not really any difference between a 4channel 512pixel square texture and an array of 512^2 float4 values.
    Animation is generally stored as a sequence of matrices or quaternions which fit quite neatly into this format. 

At a guess you'd want to store the data hierarchically - Eg.  All Character world space transforms in one set of textures with  walk cycles etc. in other sets of textures that can be played back on each character.
    It's worth pointing out that textures don't have to be preauthored, they can be generated at runtime based on what's happening in game etc. so procedural animation is entirely feasible
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks poopipe.    I understand it as a principle but still have no idea how could it be  implemented in our engine.  Talked with our tech guys and they also  haven't.    It looks like the texture is using not regular UV  to figure out what pixel a vertex should read  from but some kind of special predefined order .     But how would next lod do it?     How would animation mixing work?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animation mixing is the harder part of this. If you want to fully blend between 2 animations, and not by parts, its still fairly straight forward.  Hold 2 texture samplers for the data texture, put the original one in the first slot, and the new animation to the second one. Then interpolate the value. This will give you smooth transition between the 2 animations. 

The uv is an extra uvmap, specifically made for this purpose. Plan the texture res first, then make it so one vertex is one pixel. The 3 verts of the tri would be laid out next to each other.Houdini has a tool for this that automates the process. It also bakes the data texture so it fully automatic. There is a material function template for unreal. Check that out and copy the logic. Its very simple though.

LOD is simple again. Make a new data texture for the lod, and use it in its material instance. These data textures are very small size even for a moderately highpoly mesh with a lenghty animation, so its not a big deal.

For runtime processing, you'll need compute shader.

I highly recommend checking out and using VAT (vertex animation texture) in Houdini game dev tools! Because it simplifies the whole process a lot.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    cool, thanks again  Obscura