Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Beginner character animation

node
I accidentally posted these on the 3D Art Showcase & Critiques section (here)
I'm just starting with character animation. All three are stiff and basic, but you have to start somewhere.
1. The sword slash feels empty. It's simple, my first attempt.
2. I like the ground punch shockwave the most. locky, stiff, but I like it, it works.
3. The bubble shield. The character is stiff, but I love the bubble shield effect

Replies

• Jad3d_Olm
    Ball play and throw. The throw is weird, would probably fit more a magical spell than a ball throw. I could probably blame the hand rig...

• Jad3d_Olm
    This is my current best.
    It's more just blocking with some inbetweens than animation, but I like it. The gravity doesn't work and the movements are off...
    I like the poses of the jump and the straight pose in the air, not sure about the landing.

• tyree1
    Offline / Send Message
    tyree1 polycounter lvl 2
    you need to draw all these motions. on a computer, on paper, however you do it. you will not see what you are missing until then
  • LeeMeredith
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    Great work for a beginner, you definitely need to study timing and spacing though. One of the best excercises for that is animating bouncing balls of various weights.

Start with just a generic ball bouncing on a loop, then make it come to a stop naturally. Then try making a ball bounce across the screen and eventually coming to a stop. You can repeat these with heavier balls such as a bowling ball and lighter balls like a ping pong ball. 

I see a lot of potential in you, nail those fundamentals and you will easily be one of the greats.