Home Adobe Substance

Anyone know how i can get plastic to look like this in Substance Painter?

So ive been trying to learn how to make a plastic texture like in the picture below but i cant figure it out. Any tutorials or tips would be great since im new to substance painter.

Plastic i want

Plastic ive come up with

both are the same textures just from different angles

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Your material is fine, but Substance painter doesn't do a very good job at rendering translucent surfaces. You should be able to get it looking better later on depending on where you intend to use it (Unreal, offline renderer, etc.)
  • rememba_da_name
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    Your material is fine, but Substance painter doesn't do a very good job at rendering translucent surfaces. You should be able to get it looking better later on depending on where you intend to use it (Unreal, offline renderer, etc.)
    Im using Unity so hopefully a shader will make it better. Thank you!
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Your plastic is looking good.

Are you not happy with the thickness or something like that? 

Not sure what your settings are but common mistakes with transparent objects are just slapping pure white refraction/reflection and calling it done. Always good to be slightly not pure, nothing is in the extremes in real-world values. 

If you really want to go hard into it, plastic requires a specific Index of Refraction (IOR) (to control the Fresnel amount) + Subsurface Scattering, these would be controlled through the shader. Not sure how to easily implement those Unity, as I've only used them in offline renders like V-Ray/ Corona  (a quick hack in those is to often to use a Wax shader setup).

Other things that can enhance a basic material.... slight warping of the reflection usually done via noise in the bump channel + some subtle smudges/ fingerprints in the reflection roughness.