Home Technical Talk

Displacement map Zbrush to Maya looks soft

Asim7
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
Hello there Polycounters!

I am having this issue with my displacement maps, I have tried a number of things to fix it but no luck. 
Hopefully someone on here could help me out? :) 

First image from Zbrush, looks perfect. The rocks are very sharp and the leg armor has very hard edges.
But when I put it into Maya, it looks soft. 
I have the low poly meshes, they are all unwrapped. I applied the displacement maps to each one and gave each mesh a catclark subdivision of 4 in the Arnold render. So the base mesh is low poly, but the rendered mesh is probably in the 500k-1 million poly.

Yet the displacement, not even with a normal map helps. The rocks are soft, and the leg armor has no hard edges. 
Only the base has a normal map, no normal map for the leg armor.

Here are my normal map and displacement map for the rocky base mesh.

Normal map was generated in Substance Painter, because Zbrush normal map didn't want to work without giving me seams :(
Displacement map was generated in Zbrush.

My mesh was made in Maya, unwrapped, taken into Zbrush, subdivided and detailed. Baked map, then I went back a few subdivisions till around 512 poly and exported that for Maya.

If anyone have any info, tips or help I would really appreciate it! :)

Replies

• dlz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    Zbrush has a tricky way to do maps and substance in my experience does better baking in general.
    Anyways there is a tutorial that i followed and gave me decent results, check it if you have everything as he says:
    In the "displacement procedures" you can view the whole process

• Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    dlz said:
    Zbrush has a tricky way to do maps and substance in my experience does better baking in general.
    Anyways there is a tutorial that i followed and gave me decent results, check it if you have everything as he says:
    In the "displacement procedures" you can view the whole process

Thank you so much for that link! :)  
    It helped quite a bit, but it's still not perfect :(
    I keep getting a very soft and rounded look, nowhere near as crispy and sharp as my highpoly model. And im still not sure if I can use a displacement to keep the shape of an object? Or if I need extra edge loops.