Home Technical Talk

Infinity 3D real-time ray tracing engine

Edit 2021: A new top image for forum preview.

I introduce a new tool, Infinity 3D real-time ray tracing engine with unique features that is available to try out today.

One of the main features of Infinity 3D is that all geometry doesn't have to be represented with triangles and this allows a high polygon count look without actually needing millions of polygons.

To that end, I3D supports subdivision surface meshes that are rendered per-pixel smooth even up close due to real-time ray tracing.

Additionally, ray traced primitives and CSG are supported and of course also standard polygonal meshes.

Another major unique feature is real-time ray traced dynamic shadows which gives the engine a different look from other real-time engines even with fully polygonal geometry.

Due to being heavily CPU based, I3D doesn't require a discrete GPU to run, but can benefit from having one.

Sneak peek video from 2016 gives an idea how I3D runs. The video was made before RTRT shadows. Edit: Remove link due to a new video below.

What is available today is Infinity 3D editor 1.0 for Windows, OSX and Linux. I3deditor is a tool for creators. Functionality includes scene tree, transform control, slider based inline material editor, mesh import, drag & drop add lights, primitives and cameras, toggle for mesh surface representation between polys/subdiv surfaces and ray traced shadows toggle for a spotlight and a render feature to up to 32K UHD resolution.

Little later this year engine SDK 1.0 will be released that includes I3deditor source. Additionally, it is possible to make I3D available as a plugin to game engines, 3D tools or other programs.

Edit: Images updated.

Replies