Home Technical Talk

Spline Modelling Without drawing cage?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey There! I'm in search of a tool or some sort of way to auto-generate the lines required to make a surface with splines, wihtout the need of drawing them or thinking about the process of drawing them, just to save more time while i 3D model.
So my question is, is there any way, tool or anything, that could make the process easier?

Image on top, depicts the cage drawing, the inner line, in this case is something very simple, but sometimes, i have to model more complex shapes and it might get hard sometimes while i'm trying to think how the cage works

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    the cross section modifier is for that.  it's spline order dependent but otherwise does what you want

• JustM
    poopipe said:
    the cross section modifier is for that.  it's spline order dependent but otherwise does what you want

Thanks. Yes, i know! but in this case, i drew the whole object myself, it's not a two-part spline attached and welded. So cross section wouldn't work
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You're buggered then I think..  If you can't explain a ruleset then you can't write the code to solve your problem. 

I model like this a lot. Quite often ill do a very low res spline mesh, convert to mesh, make edits, extract splines use that as a surface, convert it to mesh - and so on. 

If it ever feels like too much work, try to repeat the process in maya and you'll feel a lot better

• JustM
    Okay! Thank you very much sir
    poopipe said:
    You're buggered then I think..  If you can't explain a ruleset then you can't write the code to solve your problem. 

I model like this a lot. Quite often ill do a very low res spline mesh, convert to mesh, make edits, extract splines use that as a surface, convert it to mesh - and so on. 

If it ever feels like too much work, try to repeat the process in maya and you'll feel a lot better

Okay! Thank you very much sir! Have a nice day