Home Technical Talk

How should I texture a worn out wall

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
kaigonathus polycounter lvl 3
Hi so I would like to know what is the best way to texture these walls so it could be used in a game? I have couple "theories" on how it should be made and I would like to know what would be the right or best way. Mind me that I haven't actually done this kinda of texturing before and these are based on all the tutorials and videos and such that i have seen.

Wall made of planks, just flat with no extra geometry or so.
A. There is two different diffuse and roughness maps, planks with paint and planks without paint. They share AO and normal maps. They are blended together by vertex painting and using height information I get those small bits of paint left in the cracks. Moss is made with decals
B. Planks with paint and planks without paint are all in the same diffuse, roughness, ao and normal maps. Moss is made with decals
And secondly a wall made of logs. I would like the logs to be 3 dimensional so not just flat textures. With this Im way less sure how it should be done but here is couple theories:
A. Model and sculpt the logs, bake at least normal and ao maps. Have a separate paint and non-paint materials which would be mixed with log wall maps and diffuse/roughness with vertex painting similar to the plank wall A. Moss made with decals.
B. Model and sculpt the logs and do a custom texturing. Moss made with decals

Also maybe instead of vertex painting, I would try to use masks?

A. options would probably be the way i would try to make them, but in reality Im not too sure.

Replies