Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] [WIP] Vex Environment

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JoshGould_1 polycounter lvl 3

Hi everyone, recently I have gotten back into working on my Vex environment. I had planned to post about this earlier but forgot to and so I missed getting screenshots of the original blockout phase. So in these screenshots you will see some models more developed then others.

With this project I wanted to do something a bit bigger in scale then I have done before. At the time I had been playing Destiny 2 and really liking the aesthetic of some of the planets with Vex structures. I wanted to try to recreate that aesthetic in my own environment.

At the start I didn't start with any concept art instead what I did was concept a bunch of different structure designs in blockout form until I found something I liked.This was a quick and easy process allowing me to try out a whole bunch of designs. After that I then blocked out the rest of the environment based around the main structure. There are still somethings I want to try and add to see what they would look like (e.g cables), I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have done some basic lighting just to kinda of get an idea of what the final may look like. I also made a bunch of random comps to start to get an idea of what kind of final comps I might want. Nothing you see here is in anyway set in stone and I plan to change a lot before getting anywhere near the final.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and will help me make this piece better.

I also stream a lot of the work I do on this project on my stream, feel free to tune into that if your interested.

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks cool!
    It reminds me of something but i cant tell what...
    Anyways, hope this turns out amazing!
    Cheers
  • JoshGould_1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshGould_1 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi all, its been a few weeks since I lasted posted an update of this project, so I thought I would give a quick update on what I have been up to.
    So first I have been working on refining the models and creating the proper low poly versions. I'm almost done with this processes all that is left are a few props.
    I redid most of the placement of foliage because I had not properly done it before(most of the foliage was one mesh and not taking from the other two)
    Finally I did some quick work on the overall lighting because I was not liking how it looked. Mainly brought down the intensity of the skylight as it was blowing out all the metallic and just didn't look very good.

I have been streaming most of the work I have done on this project on my twitch. Feel free to come by and ask me questions live. I have also been creating timelapse from my stream which you can check out the playlist here!

As always any comments and feedback are super welcome and appreciated.