Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Base Environment - Constructive Feedback Please!

Hi everyone! It's my first post here. I'm currently trying to break into the game art industry, though my work has gotten a lot of "stop posting garbage" rather than constructive criticism. I'd love to hear some feedback and suggestions on my 3D modeling from someone with a more developed critical eye/has had more industry experience. Looking forward to seeing everyone's art and doing the challenges here!

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    looks pretty cool, I always kinda like looking at AO renders but could you elaborate on what we´re looking at here? is this a render from within a game engine? are you working off a concept? is this a blockout? have you taken any of the props through a complete pipeline? 

• mhofever
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    With JohannesAg on that as well. the modelling is interesting but not seeing it textured and lit makes it hard to make out the look and feel of the scene. I'd recommend finding a 3D editor to work with for your scenes if you're looking to break in the indsutry  (Unreal and Unity , both free, would probably be my top suggestions) as it will help you understand better the workflow pipeline of creating an environment using modular assets and textures.

Then you'd be able to compose your assets in there and set up materials and lighting for the scene. At the moment, looking at an AO shot is not enough, don't get me wrong, you can have an AO shot of it but it's still preferable to see the scene fully textured and lit for us to be able to judge it better.
  • GabyFae
    Thanks for the feedback! Right now, everything is in Maya but I do have some Unreal experience. I'll spend the time to take this scene one step further with texturing and Unreal implementing.
    Also JohannesAg, I actually wasn't working off a concept and just had the scene set up in my mind, adding props in later on. I'll update the thread as I take the scene through a proper pipeline. Thanks!