Home Technical Talk

Question for character artists

Marching_Band
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Marching_Band polycounter lvl 3
How did you learn how to model characters? (As in edge/box modelling, not sculpting)

Any resources you can recommend if i want to learn how to model humans, animals etc? Is it better to use Max or Maya for character creation?

I do have some experience in 3d but mainly with hard surface props etc. The topic of modelling fleshy stuff has always eluded me. Currently trying to figure out how to model human heads'n'stuff but i can't get anything decent. My loops are all out of whack and i just can't figure how to better begin, where to even begin, how to approach certain parts etc. 

Any tips? Any favourite tutorials?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Start by sharing your attempts. I suggest posting regularly, updating your thread with new work. Show that you are proactive and steadily working on your art. Describe your process. Share your techniques. And give others solid critiques.

Involve yourself in the community, show you are invested in being here, and others are more likely to respond in turn. I think the axiom "give and ye shall recieve" is applicable.

And look at subd wireframes for ideas 
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/FaceTopology
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hmmmmm. Its a bit retro, but entering: 'box model a character youtube' into google search yielded at least two pages of results. That would be a decent place to start.