Home Career & Education

Have trouble getting art (fx) done

Sparrow_In_Dungeon
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Sparrow_In_Dungeon polycounter lvl 3
Hey people, I'm having trouble getting any project done. I started learning 3D about 2 years ago and simulations were kinda my thing so I mostly focused on houdini but still managed to try and "learn" the whole pipeline for both movies and games. Some time ago I felt like I was way past the total beginner phase of doing just static renders of explosions, particles, etc... I wanted to make something that would be presentable to anyone, not just other artists, so as someone who loves movies and stories, I decided to do a few shots (less than 1 min. running time for the whole thing) from the ground up mostly (except rocks, trees, and other minor things). The problem is that I'm not a big fan of modeling so by the time I half-finished the first prop, the story grew while I procrastinated and in the end I just did some half-assed fx rnd and decided that the scene may be too valuable to just show it alone because maybe in future I would be able to show the whole thing (at least the visuals). This happened with all projects that followed until I just decided to cut the story(ies) into shorts and plan them out. But a bad mindset has taken over me, that I'm waay overdue with the project so I set an unrealistic deadline and hit a hard wall whenever I try to start it. It's even worse now, being indirectly affected by the virus, I'm constantly thinking how could I make money from it (and my skills) on top of trying to figure out how to pull it off rather quickly. I still think it would be a great way to satisfy my creative side and also generate material for a reel. I don't think I have a choice except to work from home, but I doubt any studio would hire a junior fx artist right now.

I don't know how to get on the right track. I would love to let a flipbook(for game fx) or a shot render and do some gaming or exercise without the guilt of not having any art done, but I have big trouble getting past modeling and texturing phases and can't imagine going through animation (I simplified the visual style multiple time to make it easier but to no avail). The one project I had fun doing and actually completed was redoing the placeholder fx for some cheap unity rts or tower defense project I found on the asset store (that was a long time ago). But today games lack the fx editors or mod support completely and I find it kinda hard to do fx without context.

Sorry for a wall of text, just posting here in case someone went through a similar thing and would be able to help or advice. Thanks.

Replies