Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeon Shop - UE4

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anivia28 polycounter lvl 6

Hello there guys!

This is the new en environment i made for a Stylized Contest. Is my first time making this type of environments in UE4

I want to give a big shout out to Nicholas Balm on Tiny Talisman Games for being a very good teacher that  didn't stress with my stupids questions all the time haha.

Concept Artist :

Dmitry Birukov

https://www.artstation.com/dairius

Thanks a lot,and wait for more pretty enviroments!!

https://www.artstation.com/garmn

Replies

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    This is really nice, love those rocks!
  • anivia28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you very much =)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey! I'd love to give some critique.

The cave entrance looks like you've built it with meshes which were meant to be boulders. It's kind of a weird collision of round rocks, and it doesn't look too natural. I would rather see some writing on the sign, or cute food drawings, than a few wavy lines (artistic difference maybe). The composition of the shot is a bit frustrating. While there is an arrow to help guide the eye, there seems to be 3 focal points (cart, cave, boat/river), and I feel the cave and the cart, right beside each other, are fighting for my attention. To further cause these points to fight, the lighting is framing all 3. I think the composition in the second image is a bit better than the first. The god rays coming in from the right are washing that area of the image out a little too much, and I feel adjusting a the colour slightly of a couple of the pink trees in the background would help break up that area slightly. The roof of the wagon could have overhanged a little more.

I love your texture work and colour choice,the image is so vibrant and cute. Your texturing and sculpting are spot on for stylized art, good job for sure! I hope you're going to keep making more stylized environments, I look forward to them.
  • anivia28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback!!
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hey there! These were my thoughts when looking at this:

• It all looks good. it's good, but I think lightning, composition and color could go much further.
    • Colors: I would think the house is what you intended to be focal point of this piece. And yet, I believe it is subdued by all the elements around it which demand attention a lot more. In the first shot, the strongest and most vibrant colors are on the trees, which makes my eye go from one edge to the picture to the other one, almost ignoring the house. In the second shot, the leaves on the foreground don't help either, and the godrays on the right steal way the attention from the house since it's so bright over there. Looking at Dmitry's concept, something I find pleasing about the coloring is the strong red from the roof - in your picture, this saturated red is practically gone. Personally I would subdue some colors from your environment, and enhance the ones present in the house, most notably the roof, to make it easier for the eyes to appreciate the scene.
    • Composition:
      1- I don't appreciate the way you used godrays in the second shot. I think they're used the best when there is more depth to the shot: for example, when you can see the light source from where they're coming from, and all the distance the ray is travelling across - this gives a sense of depth that helps in conveying a big 3D space with a picture. For example:

In your second shot, it just comes from somewhere on the right offscreen, and doesn't even light or highlight anything of interest, giving it a very dull flat 2D feeling. It steals my attention away, from the house or the scene you are trying to show me.
      2-I agree with Ashervisalis' comment too - I actually didn't notice there was a cave until I read about it from his comment.
      3-On a more personal note, I don't understand why you decided to have the leaves of trees be so flat. It looks more like a technical constraint than a stylistic decision. Judging from the roundness of the house's wheels, it doesn't look like this is oriented towards super lowpoly art, so, perhaps you could give a better silhouette to those leaves. Or at least, if you know they won't look that good when seen super close, stray away from showing such elements in your foreground.
    • Lightning: I think environment works like these should be able to convery a certain mood, and for this, lightning is used appropriately. Though I don't think what you did is bad, I think this image could look a lot jollier (which I think is what this type of scene could excel at), if you avoided such hard shadows in your scene. Look at Dmitry's concept: the lightning on the grass is so smooth, so soft. High contrasting stuff can be more intimidating, whereas softness is friendlier. In both shots, shadows at the foreground are super hard, and the shadowed color is so dark and contrasting. I would make this softer. I specially like the scene of flowers you arranged in your first shot, but I think I would love it a lot more if they were out shining in the bright sun (again, more of a jolly scene. Shadows can have its uses too without becoming something gritty, like taking a break below a tree on a hot awesome day, so you can also go for something like that).
  • anivia28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback!! i will read all very carefully,thanks again:)