Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Rig flips upside down when transforming to zero. File updated

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node
Man I cannot figure this out. When I go to start a new animatiob on frame 80 and freeze my transform my rig flips upsidedown and when I flip it right side up it inverts all of my previous key frames. The most recent thing I did was add the main controller at the bottom but i immediately froze that transform.

I have all of the controllers selected in a selection set labeled "controllers" for easy selecting. If anybody can assist me in figuring out why I would great appreciate it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QxI5jRITS3bUKpm2Q2mCxPMPjBxX1dSl/view?usp=sharing 
I had a similar thread where I solved it by freezing in auto-key mode but that doesn't work here. PLEASE help.

Edit: clarified my question for accuracy and made the file public. No clue why it made itself private by default. 

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Your new controller's pivot is upside down. This itself isn't wrong or bad, but...

If you Freeze Transform on an object without a parent (the hip controller) basically the World is the parent. So if you add a parent later (the master controller), that parent's pivot needs to be aligned to the World. If it's not aligned to the world, you are effectively flipping the axis of all the animations and they won't work anymore.

Best advice I have is to go to a previous file before you started animating. Freeze Transforms again on all animation controllers. And start your animations over.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    monster said:
    Your new controller's pivot is upside down. This itself isn't wrong or bad, but...

If you Freeze Transform on an object without a parent (the hip controller) basically the World is the parent. So if you add a parent later (the master controller), that parent's pivot needs to be aligned to the World. If it's not aligned to the world, you are effectively flipping the axis of all the animations and they won't work anymore.

Best advice I have is to go to a previous file before you started animating. Freeze Transforms again on all animation controllers. And start your animations over.
    Damn that bites. But thanks for the help. All that work laid to waste because I didn't freeze my transform at the first set up... what a waste.

And just to be certain, the only objects pivot that needs to be adjusted is the main controllers? Just want to make sure I don't need to worry about the foot or hip controllers.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I think so, but without being able to go back to the bind pose it's hard to tell. If you want to PM the file, I can review it tomorrow when I'm on break.