Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Tiny budget animations to translate into an obscure language

I'm looking for cartoons/animations that I can translate into an obscure language (Western Armenian) for the purpose of having more kids (my kids to be precise) listen to the language instead of watching English, Russian or Chinese cartoons on YouTube. This is going to be done on a tiny budget, so I can't pay anyone for rights. Also, I'm not going to make any money on this, so I can't pay royalties. Does anyone know of a community project (or just some generous studio), that'll allow me to translate their stuff into Armenian and post on youtube for all to see?

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I'm sorry that I can't help you with the copyrights question but I think this is a really cool idea you have! I hope this works out somehow!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check with the Blender Foundation for their cartoons, since I think they publish them as CC0.
  • Tramadoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Rollin and Eric,

Thanks for coming back to me. I do appreciate it. Sorry for the tardy response on my side. So, I did a little more research, and I thought I'd write it down in case it's useful to anyone else. 

A few options:

1. Blender, like Eric said. They've got high quality stuff which you can reuse, the problem is that the stuff is of an adult nature OR, the kiddy stuff they have, has no dialogue, so that stuff doesn't work. 
    2. There's also Project Morvena (Morevna?). Again, same issue. They did have one show which was kinda suitable, but I didn't think my kids would watch it, so that didn't work either.
    3. Old stuff. So, Superman cartoons from 1940 are in the public domain. I'm not sure if my kids would watch that. There's also some looney tunes stuff. I saw one very funny Daffy Duck episode in the public domain. I might do that, just to learn how it all works. 6 minutes long...! I'm not sure I can do a Daffy voice, but well... it'll be fun to try! 
    4. You can look for "creative commons" stuff on Vimeo and YouTube. On Vimeo, I didn't find anything suitable. On YouTube, there's definitely some stuff which would work. I'm just not 100% sure that what they say is CC, really is CC. I just don't want to do the work, and then be told "you know what... it's not, take it down". That would be a kick in the.. you know. Gotta do some more research there.

Some half way solutions.
    5. Blender gives away some characters which you can use to make the animations, along with relevant files. However, I think that's still a lot of work.. so not gonna follow that path. 
    6. I'm wondering if I just have some stick man animations made up. If it's good enough, my kids might watch it... but can I make it good enough? Probably not...

Thanks again for listening guys. I appreciate it!

Bye for now!