Hello everyone! We are a group of 14 students from Barcelona, studying 3D Design & Art for Videogames in FX Animation. We would like to share our new and last project. It’s called “Robots, Death & Venice”. We will keep you updated with the progress. We started the project around 15 April and we will finish it around 15 June. So we will be posting the process of designing from scratch till the final result. For this project we decided to make a simulation as if it was a real studio. Our teachers took the role of “owners” of the game, and we divided in two big groups, Environment /Props and Characters. Each group has its own Lead Artist and Scrum Manager.
- Alberto Martinez (Programmer) (https://www.artstation.com/albmarvil)
- Javi F.Flores (Environment & Props) (https://www.artstation.com/javiflores)
- Dani Sánchez (Characters) (https://www.artstation.com/daniele86)
- Brandon Jibaja (Scrum) (https://www.artstation.com/brjaid)
- Patricia Campos (Lead Artist) (https://www.artstation.com/gamespxy)
- Valentina Verdaguer (Social Media) (https://www.artstation.com/valentinaverdaguer)
- Juan Darío Arango (Logo) (https://www.artstation.com/juanchoav92)
- Guillem Suriñach (https://www.artstation.com/hotsur)
- Alex Díaz (https://www.artstation.com/alejandrodiazcastellano)
Lucas García (https://www.artstation.com/lucasga99)
Environment & Props:
- Nuno Filipe Moura (Scrum) (https://www.artstation.com/nunofilipemoura)
- Andre Caetano (Lead Artist) (https://www.artstation.com/caetanoart)
- Martin Danlos (Social Media) (https://www.artstation.com/martindanlos)
- Fran Ruiz (https://www.artstation.com/cesk)
- Victor Agrisuelas (https://www.artstation.com/victoragri98)
- Marc Lupión (https://www.artstation.com/pixelkiwi)
- Carles Borras (https://www.artstation.com/borras)
The Main idea for this project was to be inspired in Venice (Italy), but with the style we’ve seen on the Dishonored games, a mix between realistic looking games and stylized. For the programming part we have the huge help of our teacher Alberto Martinez, developing gameplay, IA, SVN....
It is a dictatorship in chaos, there are many barricades and it has a dark aesthetic since there are many wars and the city has been taken by force. There is a private barrack in an "X" building, there are not many citizens on the streets, gangsters rule the city and make guards throughout it, protecting its leader and using his strength and privileges against the citizens. Your objective is to kill the mob leader and try to ruin his gangster empire. The protagonist is a bounty hunt paid for what they fight for the good of the city and that the main enemy, leader of the mafia is the evil jester.
Gathering the References for Environment and Props
The main inspiration for our game is Dishonored, so we spent some days to gather as many references as possible, from Dishonored, Bioshock, Venice (city), different concepts and many others from websites as Google images, Pinterest, Arstation, 80Lvl, Polycount. We looked for references that conveyed the mood and feeling we wanted to simulate on our scene, as well as the composition that we found interesting.
After collecting the references, we made a list of items/buildings/rooms that would be present in the architecture. Next step was to think about gameplay and check again for further changes.
Gathering the References for Characters
As for the environment, the main inspiration was Dishonored, so the research for the characters involved a lot of pictures based on the style and characters of the game. The plot demands a lot of robots and cyborgs, as well as the main character and some specific enemies. At the beginning we did not know how it the final boss was going to be or where the main action would take place, so our leads gave us the freedom to create the characters we wanted following the aesthetic and the environment art direction. That is how we created two mafia robots and one cyborg, the evil pizza robot, a robotic exotic ballerina, a cyborg jester and the bounty hunt. And, as chaotic as it sounds, it is working.
These are all the references the character artists used to create their character.
One month of work brought us here.
We have done the high poly of the 7 characters. And now we are currently working on the low poly and skinning.
We have three scenes, the first one is the safe house of our main character, then we go to an exterior, the city and finally we go to the theatre, where the Jester is located.
Gameplay for the first scene (safe house).
Gameplay for the second scene (exterior).
Fran Ruiz has been working exclusively on the materials so far. There is a large numbers of materials to be made, but these are the ones we are working with now, we will import them into UE4 for the next update, so stay tunned!