Home Technical Talk

Help with clay rendering a character

Hello, i've been working on a personal project of mine and was wondering how to create a clay render like this one : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8Aly6 , which was made in ToolBag.

I'm hesitating on which rendering software i should use between Marmoset, Arnold or KeyShot to present my character.

Marmoset : I'm more familiar with it, I've had to present school projects using the software. However, when it comes to clay rendering, I'm kinda confused on the workflow to present a character. I can't really tell if the model that I sent is entirely the high-res or not. Do I need to create UVs, texture maps, bake the high res-model on the low-res. etc. ?

Arnold : I've never used Arnold, but I feel like it could be the best option overall, since I'm creating hair with xGen and won't have to go through the trouble of creating hair cards. Again, I'm not familiar with the workflow. I'm not sure if you have to import your low-res model into Maya or not, because from what I've seen in some other projects, the "low-res" (?) is usually high in polygons. I've heard you need a displacement map for the high res model, which you need UVs first.

KeyShot : I believe it's the easiest method since you can directly import your high-res model from ZBrush to KeyShot. The problem comes with the hair. I haven't found yet a method to import hair created in xGen to KeyShot. I think it has a plugin for created in 3ds Max however.

Replies