Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panzer IV Short barrel version WIP

null
Offline / Send Message
nok3 null
Hi there, I'm Vince, this is my first 3D post here, I've mostly been mostly a lurker on CG stuff whilst I was still doing work for my degree, this being my final project I finish for my degree. You can find more of my stuff on artstation.com/nok3 if you're curious of the stuff I've been doing so far.

So this is my interpretation of a combo of Panzer IV parts from different models, so not completely historically accurate, but mostly a choice of what best reference I had and what I found most aesthetically pleasing. Thinking of going a desert-type color scheme, which would also go cool with a bunch of dust/sand type scratches on the blocky body-shape.

Most of my reference I got was IRL, thanking the Romanian Military Museum for the pretty well-preserved model they had displayed on their lot, but there's amazing technical drawings available online on certain parts such as the suspension and tire treads., 1:32 replica models' modelsheets, museum photos online, etc.

Stuff like the treads and the wheels/cogs I found patterns for online and adapted in a way to make it riggable but not laggy.
I'd reckon if I would be making a more of a game-asset type dealio, I think I would've gone with either more low poly, or something more blocky that I could project detail upon.

I went with the widest treads I could find, I thought it'd reflect best the blocky nature of the tank
I almost religiously followed 1:1 scaling to real life, there might be deviations because of the different modelsheets and technical drawings I used

Most of my following steps after this are adding some subtle bevels on the main bodywork and on the tread plates, adding all the millions of bolts there are on this thing, adding the covers for the sides of the inner side of the treads, UV unwrapping everything, put everything into zbrush so I can create some realistic looking welds and damage (dents, pitting etc)

I also thought of some cloth sim for either netting or camo maybe on the top of the vehicle where I could not find as much reference (couldn't climb on top of the tank :( there were signs against it)

I still feel like keeping the main bits pretty blocky so I keep the whole style of it that way oriented towards games, but I might change my mind and go back to making the plates thinner and the main body more accurate

Then my next step is to bake everything either in substance / marmoset, move into substance painter to create my base color accurate to the real vehicle and sand damage in places it might have sustained it (edges and close to where pebbles and rocks would hit the plates), get procedural alphas into a height map that puts the steel and cast iron parts more into display, erased number decals on the turret, etc.

I also have a few thoughts in mind about adding scorch marks to where shells and gunshots would hit and dent, and carbon streaks would remain.

I greatly appreciate if you guys have any advice for me moving forwards with this thing or just thoughts in general! Thank you!

Replies