Home Technical Talk

baking volumetric

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Cirmius polycounter lvl 3
Hi
How can I bake volumetric? I tried do bake it as albedo using combine baking but the result is really flat. Just a fast showcase how it looks without baking

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Can you explain a bit more what you want to do. Or even better: show some pictures

• Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated first post. I want to bake base color with all the things that happens inside the head.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hm.. this is difficult. 
    You would certainly require a specific shader and some kind of baked volumetric data.

How do you want it to look like?
    Because it seem you don't like to keep the stuff inside the head just where it is. Because this would give you  a volumetric effect just naturally.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I don't think this is possible. I dont know of a baker that can use volumetric data as input. Even if it would be possible, the result would look weird. As this effect is view dependant.
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    I don't think this is possible. I dont know of a baker that can use volumetric data as input. Even if it would be possible, the result would look weird. As this effect is view dependant.

Hmm, my friend did it actually but he can't remember the whole thing, he baked it as albedo with combined method and it still has that "deepness" feel.
    rollin said:
    Hm.. this is difficult. 
    You would certainly require a specific shader and some kind of baked volumetric data.

How do you want it to look like?
    Because it seem you don't like to keep the stuff inside the head just where it is. Because this would give you  a volumetric effect just naturally.
    I just want to bake it as albedo but without flatness effect, if it is possible

Better quality screen

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    If you can show us what your friend did - best if you could show it in motion - we might find out what's going on

Parallax occlusion mapping could give you some kind of fake depth but not sure how this would turn out on such an object
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oWBem
    he did it without selected to active option
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    And he does not know how he did it? This sounds really strange..

Could be some fake environment mapping too or  an object inside another with some kind of refraction shader on top.
    It should become obvious when looking at the baked maps and the material setup
    Without seeing it in motion it is hard to tell.

Also: I don't understand the english "he did it without selected to active option"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably a real-time refraction technique. This kind of effect has been around for a long time. 
    Recent example

model
    https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/real-time-refraction-demo-mosquito-in-amber-37233d6ed84844fea1ebe88069ea58d1

The method is basically a two-pass real-time render. Render what's behind the glass to an offscreen buffer (a temporary 2d image. Zoom through the Amber to see it!). Distort that buffer using the normals (+normal map) of the glass/amber surface model. Render the glass/amber model on top of the buffer.

Or at least that's my understanding of it. I'm no graphics programmer.

There's no pre-process baking for this. Instead the "baking" is done in real-time.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

Hrhr.. :D I like this mosquito. And cool what webplayer can already do
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    rollin said:
    Also: I don't understand the english "he did it without selected to active option"
    I think they're using Blender, it's an option in there:

It's what lets you bake to another mesh, like a cage or a lowpoly.