Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Old Church

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ILYHugh polycounter lvl 9
Hope everyone is doing well and is safe during this time of turmoil. I've been having a bit of a creative crunch with the new norm of having work at home, leaving no separation for my creative energy to flow. But after a few weeks of blockage, I finally found something I can start with. This is coming from an old, old project from my college days, back in 2015. An old abandoned church based on the Church from the first season of True Detective. I dusted off the screenshots and used them and some new reference to start this project. 

Here is a block out for some base sizing and getting a basic feel for how I want the mood conveyed in the scene.

This is the old Scene, Pre-Substance, Pre-Modular design, Pre-IBL, pre-industry work. I want to go back give a brand-new splash of what I have learned in the past 5 years to this project. 

Lets get SPOOKY WITH IT! =)

Replies

• hghtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hghtch node
    lovely :) maybe you could make a door hang in the hinges to give it that creepy look
  • ILYHugh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the current pass, Brokedown the block-out to make them into modular blocks, that way I can do some quick mesh replacements when I have updates. Also added in some modular top windows and a door frame. I'm glad I still have the energy and ambition to still work on this project during the Pandemic  =)

• ILYHugh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, here is the next pass so far, I adjust the camera angle of the scene, which one do you think is better?  Current I have been going through and doing sculpts on the Wooden assets . Currently still working on more wooden assets that break up the modular wall pieces that are being used. After the structure is finished, next comes the set dressing inside the church!

• ILYHugh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Friday Guys!

Here is another update, currently I adjusted some light placements near the front of the church as well as worked on the start of the damage to the roof. I tweaked the Church shingles to be more pronounced and also to have better color variation. The white beams are block outs for the wood that will replace it soon. I also tested out a UE4 Beta feature I never knew about called Screen-Space GI, I turned it on and actually brought up the contrast to my liking, Every think that was light/white added bounce around in all the right places!

I'm excited with how this is coming along so far!, I want to keep working on the Damage a bit more and also the damage to the Planks that make up the walls for the church exterior!

Cheers =)

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikDemidko polycounter lvl 2
    Maybe it's better to move the camera so the church is a bit off the centre, probably more on the left? Otherwise, compoisition seems too unbalanced and straightforward to me.  And it might be a good idea to place camera, so fence is leading the eye to a church. Here is a quick collage to show what I mean:

It adds some depth to the image, and helps it to look less flat. I like the framing with a trees at the sides of the image. Keep them! :) And be careful, they are almpst touching the roof of the church. It's better to keep them further away, or just let them intersect (which also adds some depth and layers to the image).

Not a pro, just some suggestions.

• ILYHugh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! @NikDemidko for some of the feedback on the Composition, It may be tough for the Fence placement since there will be a road in front of the church, I can try find some way to incorporate some leading lines to the church! Much Appreciated!  =)