Home Technical Talk

rounded edge on large building

Anthonr4g
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Anthonr4g polycounter lvl 4
Hello today I was walking around on valorant map and seeing some buildings, I was wondering how to get that rounded edge effect on large buildings that normally require tiling textures.

I thought of several solutions:

1. use several sets of uv's, one for the tiling texture and the second one for my normal map baking. Which works out pretty well ! 

2. use normal edge decals ( I didn't try it but I guess it could work pretty well ) 

My question is, are both methods valid or is there a more standardized way to achieve this result? 

I've looked everywhere, but I haven't found much about it.

thank you very much!

Replies

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    a while ago I did a internet search about something like this...
    I ended beveling edges because it was easier and faster.

But I also would like to know if there is any tip/trick to make this without to much hassle.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Its defenetly just a bevel, the weird dark shading is where the edges are. But you could just use 2 edges instead and use weighted normals.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani said:
    Its defenetly just a bevel, the weird dark shading is where the edges are. But you could just use 2 edges instead and use weighted normals.
    Yeah, this is what I do.
  • Anthonr4g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure about this? Because when you look at the second screen it really looks like there is no bevel and the edge is perfectly perpendicular. Like some kind of baking
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Anthonr4g said:
    Are you sure about this? Because when you look at the second screen it really looks like there is no bevel and the edge is perfectly perpendicular. Like some kind of baking
    Try it out..
    The bevel doesn't need to change the topology
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Its done with support edges and custom normals and it's a terrible idea.

You pay the same triangle cost  as a real 2 segment bevel, get worse looking results up close and as a bonus will get shadowing artefacts because the mesh isn't the shape it's pretending to be.  

IMO it's an utterly pointless exercise and i challenge anyone to come up with a situation where it's preferable to making the model the right shape in the first place
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I'm gonna throw in a new thing... This is just a lightmap seam looking like a bevel. 
  • Anthonr4g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Its done with support edges and custom normals and it's a terrible idea.

You pay the same triangle cost  as a real 2 segment bevel, get worse looking results up close and as a bonus will get shadowing artefacts because the mesh isn't the shape it's pretending to be.  

IMO it's an utterly pointless exercise and i challenge anyone to come up with a situation where it's preferable to making the model the right shape in the first place
    I totally understand your reasoning and I agree that a real bevel is always better. I also ask myself this kind of question and I was thinking that maybe the method you describe (support edge etc..) is used precisely to avoid changing the topology of the object (rather than chamfering the geometry) and that maybe it is easier to work with uvs in terms of alignment, lightmaps or for tiling texture etc... but I may be completely wrong! haha

Obscura said:
    I'm gonna throw in a new thing... This is just a lightmap seam looking like a bevel. 
    actually I haven't thought about it! haha
  • Anthonr4g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to try the face weigted normal method described above with only edges support. and I get almost the same result.

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @Obscura
    seems so, but isn't. Every corner/building in the game has this effect. Even more so, there's some environmental structural stuff/assets that do this method correctly as described with an actual bevel, not just 90 degree with support loops.

@Anthonr4g
    yeah, course you'll get a similar result, but the larger question is why not actually move the middle loop in like an actual bevel? May as well use that geometry to physically have a rounded edge, not a simulated rounded edge with a sharp 90 edge.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Maybe they require some kind of tile set constraints which make it easier / faster / no gaps / etc. if there are no actual rounded edges. 
    Or netcode / network occlusion stuff requires there are perfect predictable edges where you can't peek around some slightly beveled edge..
    Or it's not a bevel
    Or it could be magic.. <- I really like this one!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it's not magic. its just a decal.

at least thats how its done on overwatch, wouldn't be surprised if valorant did the same
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    @Kanni3d I'm assuming they did this to keep very specific sightlines. It may not seem like much, but in an fps like Valorant shaving off a slight about of a corner through bevelling can change the sightline a fair amount.

@poopipe That seems like a pretty vast generalization and like, your opinion, man. To say that the model isn't "the right shape" is silly because these artists chose to accomplish the look of soft edges through this technique for a reason.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Neox said:
    it's not magic. its just a decal.

at least thats how its done on overwatch, wouldn't be surprised if valorant did the same
    Jea, but what would this world be without - magic? 

I say these are not done by decals but by a very small monkey in your graphics card which changes the brightness of these edge pixels to give the illusion of a rounded edge .. 
    Arguably this isn't magic as this is only a regular monkey (even if very small) - but still very cool!

We should create a poll until someone rips the models out of the game / hardware buffer so we can see.
    And this poll should include "magic" and "small monkeys" !!!!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's both those things. 

The mentions of sightlines and occlusion are the closest to good reasons I have heard but  I'd be inclined to argue they're a little tenuous. 

The reason I encounter most often in the office is that somebody has a  script intended for hacky mid poly baking which does this in one click and they spam it all over the place cos they're lazy. 

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Just throwing in that you don't need custom normals when using support edges like seen above, so that might be seen as an advantage vs moving in the center edge.
    Wouldn't account for the shading artifacts, though.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the magic and monkeys thing. looks plausible enough. 
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Like some others have said, the normals are just weighted a bit with support loops closer to the edge.

The seam up close just looks like a lightmap seam,  oopsy.

The reason its weighted without an actual bevel is exactly as @Lucas Annunziata described.  Beveled edges do affect sightlines and how angles are approached in gameplay.  We want a softer look but we don't want to change the geometry, so we throw some support loops on it and call it a day. 
  • copenhagenjazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copenhagenjazz polycounter lvl 14
    Imo edge decals are the way to go, support loops comes second. Bevels are just nasty as they require weighting and LODs become a pain