Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Underground Bunker

Hi!
This is my very first time posting here on polycount forums so bear with me please! =)
So I have been working on this environment in UE4 and there is still a loooong way to go so I wanted some critiques and guidelines to help me do a better job. I know the titles says "underground" but so far I only managed to create the above ground part. Eventually there will be a hatch in the boxy building that will lead to an old looking but still operational bunker below ground.
 (The burned car is not mine. I downloaded it)
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/electric-pole-8da08c1c82d34e599d50aa9b10706617
(one of the props in sketchfab)
I was going for a post apocalyptic theme but not one where everything is crumpled and destroyed. There is still some civility left but not so much. I don't have any explanation for why there is still electricity but I thought it might look cool to have a light in this overcast lighting setup.
Any suggestions and criticism is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.  

Replies

• Pirax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    Composition for this shot is good. Also like the powerlines and reactors in the background as secondary detail.
    I'd say consider the theme a bit more for more details and see if you can add more stuff in the foreground that makes it more readable from a viewers perspective. I confused as what sort of apocalypse you were going for initially.

The current signs for radiation blend in too much which leads me to also say there needs to be a bit more contrast between your darker and lighter areas. At the moment the details feel placed all in the second and third layer of the scene whilst the foreground is a little bare. If you can create more storytelling in the foreground it helps make sense of the middle and background more :)

Hope this helps!
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    First impression is that its too noisy. Too many branches and cables, not very easy on the old eye. Second, the background fog is too bright. Horizon fog doesnt look like that on an overcast day. You could also bring the overall brightness down a notch to make it more moody. Im guessing this is a portfolio piece so you could up the polycount on those cables. For some reason they are distracting and breaking the immersion.
    Solid piece otherwise!
  • Mozjizez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax said:
    Composition for this shot is good. Also like the powerlines and reactors in the background as secondary detail.
    I'd say consider the theme a bit more for more details and see if you can add more stuff in the foreground that makes it more readable from a viewers perspective. I confused as what sort of apocalypse you were going for initially.

The current signs for radiation blend in too much which leads me to also say there needs to be a bit more contrast between your darker and lighter areas. At the moment the details feel placed all in the second and third layer of the scene whilst the foreground is a little bare. If you can create more storytelling in the foreground it helps make sense of the middle and background more :)

Hope this helps!
    Thank you! I will try to add some more detail.
  • Mozjizez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    First impression is that its too noisy. Too many branches and cables, not very easy on the old eye. Second, the background fog is too bright. Horizon fog doesnt look like that on an overcast day. You could also bring the overall brightness down a notch to make it more moody. Im guessing this is a portfolio piece so you could up the polycount on those cables. For some reason they are distracting and breaking the immersion.
    Solid piece otherwise!
    Thank you very much for the input. Really appreciated.
  • Mozjizez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to my environment:

- I messed with some values to have more contrast
    - Made the whole scene darker
    - Made the lighting warmer
    - Added some small details here and there
    - Tried to decrease visual noise
    - Redid the trees
    - Made some changes to the composition
    - Made the sky brighter
    And probably some other things that I can't remember right now.
    I'm still trying to add some more interest to the foreground so it's still a WIP. Any suggestions is welcome! Thanks.