Home Technical Talk

Blender -3d sketch technique?? - *video included*

BrandonFCreative
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BrandonFCreative polycounter lvl 3
Hello good people of polycount,
I'm searching for a way to replicate what is in this video(the artist is using 3d-coat) but i was trying to see how to do so in 
blender since i only have that.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62A7XGN3Dig

It appears to be some form of 3d sketch sculpting, either way it's a really efficient way to sculpt something quickly.
I'm not to experienced with linking/unlinking/parenting objects or whatever i need to do in order to replicate the video 
so i was wondering if you guys could help out with this??
Thank you guys

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest adding [Blender] to the front of your topic title. This will pull people in familiar with Blender.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • BrandonFCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey eric, i have seen a little about it, after watching this vid, like holy crap i didn't know it worked like that!!
    I definitely need to check on installing  that for sure ,is it an extension that's free for blender??

I know jama is so elite with this stuff, so i'll definitely check some tuts on that stuff.   And i'll make that title change.
    Thanks tons!!
  • TheFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
    There's also a few new addons in the making and as it looks to be released soon which will make the Grease Pencil / Sculpting workflow even more efficient. I've been using the prior addon by Aleksander (the dev) but it can only be super rapid and easy since Jama is now in the team, helping with the ideation and planning of features. I love it and used grease pencil based stuff for months now, it is crazy fast once you got the hang of it. But on the other hand, 3d Coat is very robust, too. I just never really got into it enough to feel comfortable to work mostly in 3dc.

The video Eric posted doesn't use Addons as far as I know. Should work out of the box with Blender.
    Grease Pencil can be converted to curves or mesh. Just get your feet wet, you'll get the hang of it in a very short amount of time. :) And if you have questions, the Blender community is great, feel free to ask anytime. 

See here: https://blenderartists.org/t/quicktools-a-set-of-addons-for-concept-artists/1174004/79 (I hope it is ok to link to another forum)
  • BrandonFCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome thanks for the helpful info flowman, i've been wanting to buy the grease pencil tutorial by jama but yeah this definitely seems like something i should just jump in and experiment with for now.   The main thing is after ive setup the space for grease pencil, how is it converted to the mesh, i guess there is some process to this. I've been looking on youtube and came across a video  where you have to convert it to mesh(in the program of course), and should be able to extrude from there.

Is there an easier way to do the conversion though??
  • BrandonFCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also to the page of the addons, is it a runon type of site, is there a way to know what addons have been added.  thanks in advance!

• BrandonFCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just found this tutorial i think he might have answered my converting problem,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5Z8hSLSDw
  • TheFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry I didn't get back to your question earlier, busy days. I'm one of the lucky ones still being able to work full time. :) 
    Conversion goes from object to object. Create GPencil, draw what you want - back in object mode you then can convert it. Also via right click and then convert to curve/mesh/path.

If nothing helps, always try to find what you need with F3, I love that functionality, also tells you the shortcuts (and where to find stuff in menus since a few weeks ago, but only in 2.9 builds as far as I know) :)

You can convert everything to pretty much everything else.

And from there on you will probably wanna learn a lot about the sculpt features since they are becoming really powerful these days.
    Look for Pablo Dobarro, the sculpt mode developer. Friggin dope man. Super exciting times for blender. 
    https://twitter.com/pablodp606

• BrandonFCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks tons man, nice to hear you're able to stay busy and make that money ha, but really appreciate the info , no problem on the wait time, pretty much searching for something to do these days having to stay in and all with this virus, nothing but time to learn and improve.

I pretty much understood up to the point of converting, and then after filling the mesh an di should be good to go. I'll check him out, lots of resourceful stuff out there.