Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Andrew Gillogly

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
AndrewMGillogly polycounter lvl 2
Hey yall, I decided to start a journal for my recent projects to keep better tabs on my workflow! I'd thought I start with a recap of my latest project, but I plan to upload some older ones as well for posterity.

Critique is always welcomed on new pieces and I'll be posting WIP here as well as I continue. Thanks! 

Replies

• AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4/14/2020 Ching Shih:
    Hair Maps
    Ching Shih Maps
    Sword Maps

Full post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zAdnZ2

4/12/2020
    Personal project inspired by real world 19th century pirate, Ching Shih
    Marvelous Designer
    Zbrush
    Maya
    Substance Designer/Painter/Alchemist
    Rigged in Maya
    1X4096 for Ching Shih
    1X4096 for Sword

With this project I wanted to learn Marvelous Designer, So I decided to base my project around making realistic fabric. I created my base mesh in MD and from there retopo'd in Maya and sculpted finer details in zbrush. Since the character is based on a real life historical figure I researched time period accurate clothing and attire for an interpretation that stays true to the characters life and personality. 
  • AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Rough Concept
    Final Concept

In deigning this character I wanted to capture a more elegant and royal feel since this character is based on such a powerful historical figure. Ching Shih is considered to be the most successful pirate ever to live, she commanded 300 ships and close to 20,000 men. With such a legacy I wanted to capture her commanding presence and success in her attire
  • AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ching Shih Face sculpt
  • AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Small Sword

For the sword I looked at 18th century and early 19th century references to see what would fit best the aesthetic of my model. I eventually settled upon the navel small sword of various styles as my inspiration for this weapon. 
  • AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5/1/2010 WIP: Old Man Bust

Using this bust as an exercise in wrinkles and skin sculpting. Wanted to make a face that has more character. Next is the eyes and facial hair, might give him some headgear too!

• AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5/5/2020: Old Man Bust WIP

Added hair, put detail into the eyes, and started blocking out the turban. Having a lot fun with this guy as I keep putting in those little details. 
  • AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5/10/2020: Old Man Bust WIP

Messing around with materials, been referencing some resources from Pablo Munoz G. (@pablander) on skin shaders and have been learning a lot! Super interesting to learn how SSS works inside ZBrush's BPR rendering system. 
  • AndrewMGillogly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5/11/2020: Rajasthan Man
    Calling this done for now! Rendered in Zbrush and composited in Photoshop.