Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Art Portfolio1- Character

Hello! I am a student who is working on a portfolio to present for class. C&C is welcomed!

I will be making a character and this is the concept I chose :)

On the first week we pick a concept and draw our callout/breakout sheet

After the concept is approved we can start with the rough sculpting/modeling 

There was no back portion in the concept so I decided to make up details that I thought would make sense and look "natural" for the character.

Now that it is in maya, I am way too excited to see the character start moving but 400k tris is too high for this kind of character so now I am going to have to retopogize it so it does't taking up a lot of information.

I have retopped the character which was then 400k tris and now 11k tris, thats a little low for todays standards but I think it came out alright.
Shout out to the quad draw tool!

Here I have the character in wireframe so that I can see the edge flow more clearly.

I was able to sort the UV shells neatly into the UV editor making sure that certain body parts could receive the best amount of detail.

Now that the character is ready to go I can decide if I want to texture it or "rig" it first. I decided that I wanted to texture it so I exported the mesh into Substance Painter.

I think that texturing is my favorite part of any 3D project because color and textures can really make a character or environment "pop".
I added simple details that I didn't have before by adding normals like the bumps or indents.

In the concept you can see that the character has a candy apple red material that is a little transparent, like that of an IV bag. I could not find a method that could help me achieve this effect.

**added** I found a way to make the material transparent with an opacity node but it wasn't exactly what I wanted so I decided to  not do it since 
my laptop could no longer properly load or save the character.

Since my concentration is in Game Art, we are taught little about animating or rigging characters. So we were allowed to take our meshes and use Mixamo which is an adobe website that can give your character a skeleton. The site also has a plethora of animations that you can use to show off your character.
We are tasked with making our character walk, run, jump and have an idle animation. Once we are done with choosing the animations that best suit the character, we can head out to the Unreal Engine.

**We are supposed to have a cool action pose so I chose a stealthy "hide behind cover" pose

Once in Unreal, I have to make sure that I import the mixamo version of my Tpose because that is the mesh that comes with a skeletion that will be need for the animations to work properly.

I can now import the animations and make sure that I attach the mixamo skeleton before hitting the import button.

I then can plug in the animations with the use of blendshapes, character states and blueprints that Unreal provides. 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME~

https://youtu.be/_5H72pBxxmA