Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

In-Game Animation Feedback

Hi there,

I am currently working on a game in the genre of simulation games.

The title is still in early stage of development but the art style in general has been set, however any suggestions or ideas you may want to share will be greatly appreciated.

The first video shows different styles of walk-cycles which has been done at this point, there will be more to come.
For example a drunken walk-cycle will be required when the intoxication level of the attendees rise.

The other video shows the different walk-cycles in action in the game.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Soren

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Soren, thanks for posting! I love seeing in game animations.

I would say given how far out the camera is in the second video, your animations need to be more exaggerated. I had some trouble seeing the difference between the different cycles, even int he first video. Also, in terms of what changes from one cycle to another, it seems that you rely a lot on the angle of the spine, but since the camera is looking down on the characters, it minimizes how much that change has on the silhouette. I also noticed that you change the arm motion, but not the pose. I'd explore trying to get some different basic silhouette changes (arms out and bent, arms out and straight, arms close to the body, etc). Overall I think the arms, the bobbing of the head, and the side to side motion of the hips are the area's the player will be able to notice differences the most. In short, exaggerate more, and make sure each pose looks different specifically from your game camera.

Hopefully this helps. I'd love to see an update video if you do another pass at these.

Side note, that cash register sound is pretty harsh on the ears. If it's going to be happening that often, I would make it something more smooth and comfortable to listen to over and over.
  • GemstoneGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for your feedback.

You got some very good points and I think you are right that due to the angle of the camera it's difficult to see the difference between the current styles of walk cycles. I have noted your points and suggestions and I will try to exaggerate the animations to highlight the differences a bit more.