Home Technical Talk

Baking Maya physics

Hello,

Wondering if anyone could help me to figure out how to put those sweet maya 2018 ncloth physics (boob bounce simulation :p) into a game engine like UE4? I understand there is a way to bind every simulated vertex onto a single joint which would work? Its not efficient I suppose... but UE4 supports 65k joints so it should be doable if its only part of the mesh that needs to be simulated?

However how would I do all this? There was a plugin specifically for this somewhere but I can't find it anymore.

Hope everything is doing fine and all help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Alembic Cache?
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    You don't need to get that far for simulating boobs. Just model them, rig it with one bone per boob, and simulate physics on those bones inside UE4 (physics asset)
  • pigfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried Alembic cache with bad results... I couldn't get it transfer all materials slots properly as UE4 made whole character into a single material.

You don't need to get that far for simulating boobs. Just model them, rig it with one bone per boob, and simulate physics on those bones inside UE4 (physics asset)

I know I don't have ... but I want to ;p ... also single joint boobs is what I've been using so far. I just wanted to add more detail for boobs. Its not for game play just cutscene stuff, so wasting joints and making it complicated inside UE4 shouldn't be a problem.
  • pigfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what I was thinking was like this:

I'm not very good with maya and can't really find any useful tutorial how to make something like that but as I understood, there is few steps.

You put joints on vertexes and constrain them with preferred density, your run your simulation and bake that information on joints, then you bind those joints to a mesh, which will then deform skinned mesh.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    So there are various types of alembic imports in Unreal. You can set it in the import dialogue. From the single material outcome, I assume you used geometry cache. You can try "skeletal mesh" type, and it will still work fine. It creates morph targets (blend shapes) from the deformations, so the animation still looks as it was in Maya. But this type is much more expensive, and not really recommended for games. The difference between these 2 types is that the geo cache is streamed, so only the relevant parts are loaded, while the skeletal mesh one is fully loaded all the time. Meaning that a long animation or a high poly mesh will be very expensive.

I'd join the people who recommends single joint and in engine physics. You don't know how to do that? well, look it up? Its a partial ragdoll basically. Type Unreal Engine physical animation into the youtube search, and you will find a stream by Epic, showing how to use it.