Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Stylized Wizard House

node
Offline / Send Message
GorkaSan node
Hi everyone!

Here's my next asset: The wizard's house. It is a WIP proyect. I try to keep a detailed handpainted style with a lowpoly budget. Feel free to comment ;)

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I would bend the roof bits (where I drew red) downwards, due to gravity. Maybe keep where I drew the blue line straight. Looking cool so far!

• GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    Thanks for the feedback  Ashervisalis !

• GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    Ok, much better!. I try keep the floor straight, but doesn't look good so I gave a slightly opposite curvature and seems not bad to me.
    Added chains to keep the islands in the right position ;).
  • GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    Update:

The windmill and front windows are added.
    I'm in doubt with the mill... now have 5 blades and is monolitic (all blades have the same axis), but is designed for six blades in two groups of 3 and have two coaxial contra-rotaing axis. What do you prefer?
    All feedback (not only about the windmilll) and opinions are welcomed!

5 Blades(1 axis):

6 Blades (two coaxial contra-rotating axis):

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The Six blade design is interesting, and would look cool when animated, but I feel it makes less sense than the five blade design (from an engineering perspective). In order for the six blade one to work you would need two drive shafts (or the proper windmill name for that mechanical element) in the same space, which would be difficult to make out of wood. The six blade design would work better if the scene had a more sci-fi theme, but I think the five blade design better fits with the style of building you have now.
    Oh, also I think angleing the blades toward the wind more (Like 15-20 degrees) would look good. Right now the blades look very flat and perpendicular to the wind.
  • GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    Thanks for the feedback JamesBrisnehan !
    Indeed there are two coaxial drive-shaft. You can see in this animation ;) (I think I worked too much time in aircraft industry xDD). But probably you're right and five blades works better for this style. I'll keep it for future fantasy-punk windmill xD
    I thought make the blades twisted (like engine intake) instead angled.

cheers!

• GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    Hi there!

Update!: I finish the....streetlight? For this I try something more magical (with some energy veins/crystals) and organic. Those crystals will have a light and emissive to create the... Streetlight again? effect. What do you think about glowing veins? It out of style? Do you like it?

All feedback is welcome!!

• GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    Update: Well Finished!

• GorkaSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorkaSan node
    So, Finally ends!
    I hope you like It!

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Cool work! I know you say you're finished but I have critiques for sure.

- The artstation render with the blue background could use some stylized clouds, it would help sell the render.
    - If you lit the windows, it would look really cool. I hate how I'm about to post my own work, but check out the top window on my building here; https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PmKm2n . I feel if you pushed that top window frame outwards, to make the window more deep, and gave it a saturated light, it would look really cool.
    - The front overhang roof: You shouldn't be able to see roof tiles from underneath. Those tiles would have been laid down upon something else.
    - You could increase the intensity of the ambient occlusion in the scene by a lot.
    - I would like to see more grass mesh.
    - Instead of a landscape image size, try a portrait image, to show off the image in better resolution, since the scene is more of a vertical one (for the first image).
    - Your size ref seems off. The front door seems tiny compared to the well and windows and lamp and stairs. If you jacked up the size of the front door it would help sell the cartoony feel.

I like what you did with the colours. I think you could decrease the red in the wood planks; that material kind of stands out from the colour theory side of the entire scene. I would have liked to see some contrast in saturation.