Home Technical Talk

Can't Decimate Models in ZBrush

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
I don't know why my computer is on drugs all of a sudden.  I used to have NO problem with this at all, now it won't even pre-process one lousy model.  I'm trying to decimate my models, but every time I hit "Pre-Process Current" in Decimation Master, it doesn't do a damn thing.  It just says "Computing please wait...." and it never ends.  Obviously I can't decimate my models without first preprocessing them.  Does anybody know why this is?

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Just a guess,... do you have any parts masked?
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, nothing is masked, or hidden
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Some things I would try:

• Use the Makepolymesh3d button, then try to decimate that. This button will basically spit out a copy of the model that has a lot of data removed (subdivision levels, layers, polypaint, etc). 

• Dynamesh the model, then try to decimate that. This too will toss out a lot of vertex data as it retopologizes everything, so it could flush out whatever the problem is in the process.

• Try adjusting the DM settings (Use DLL, increased number of threads).

• Try deleting the existing DM cache, and maybe see if you can locate where it is on your harddrive so that it isn't set to read-only. Make sure your C:/users folder does not have any non-latin characters while you're at it.

• Try decimating using the Gizmo ("Remesh by Decimation"). 

• Adjust the scale of the model and try again (I'm not sure if DM is affected by scale or not, but it couldn't hurt to try). 

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    I have had this happen before on certain meshes and it sounds like a bug. I'd suggest submitting a ticket with pixologic. https://support.pixologic.com/Tickets/Submit
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @cryrid and @jRocket, I'll give those options a shot.  It really might be a bug
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    No, nothing is masked, or hidden

Just to check, Cntrl and drag a rectangle on the canvas. That has worked for me several times even if no mask is visible.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't hurt to double check
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I forgot too is that just recently everytime I open ZBrush this stupid webpage opens up:  http://pixologic.com/404/.  Does this mean anything?
  • erinxphoenix
    • cryrid said:
      Some things I would try:

• Use the Makepolymesh3d button, then try to decimate that. This button will basically spit out a copy of the model that has a lot of data removed (subdivision levels, layers, polypaint, etc). 

• Dynamesh the model, then try to decimate that. This too will toss out a lot of vertex data as it retopologizes everything, so it could flush out whatever the problem is in the process.

• Try adjusting the DM settings (Use DLL, increased number of threads).

• Try deleting the existing DM cache, and maybe see if you can locate where it is on your harddrive so that it isn't set to read-only. Make sure your C:/users folder does not have any non-latin characters while you're at it.

• Try decimating using the Gizmo ("Remesh by Decimation"). 

• Adjust the scale of the model and try again (I'm not sure if DM is affected by scale or not, but it couldn't hurt to try). 

i know this has been a while ago, but the tip to DynaMesh the model really helped me thank you :) 

i K
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    since it got bumped, export / reimport might work, I'd even try export reimport to alt application reimport to problematic application if nothing else worked.  (didn't read entire thread,tldr,lazy day for me)