Home Adobe Substance

Newbie questions

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Ok I have a new Question ...
I have created a model in zbrush but I lost the original project and I only have the obj, and since I dunno how to reimport in zbrush without it beeing a tool I skipped that source...  I have imported in 3dsmax made some changes and fixed the empty import that I was having in substance ... but the problem is that the high poly original model I have not the groups that were in zbrush and so its one single mesh ... I can't make groups in 3dsmax as is too high poly to work fine there but I can make groups on the lower poly model ... since I want to have parts of the model in a material and others in another,  the low poly model is divided into those material groups , is there a way I can make work this in Substance too? Because I had problems when the single meshes differed or had different naming conventions and caused the hp version to not load, so if there is not a match between a mesh and another group in substance I suspect it won't load, am I right? Is there a way to fix this and do what I wanted  to ?

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    If I'm understanding the issue(s) correctly:
    You can import it into Zbrush and split by parts, unless its a single, welded mesh. 
    If you just want to mask different parts of the low poly into different material types, you can paint by polygon/UV island/polygon shell - an ID map isn't needed in that case. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    obj exported from Zbrush keeps  polygroups.  So you could import back,  split to subtools and export each part separately with multi map exporter