Home Technical Talk

What engine do I best render this in? [Shader/render/workflow help needed]

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a second bachelor degree thesis (communication design). I already have a bachelor in Games Art & Design and work as a 3D Artist in VR. So my current project strays a little from what I do on a daily basis which is why I popped into here to see if anyone can help me along.

I am working on a 3D animation which I would like to render in a similar texture style to the 2D illustration below.
Forget about the lighting (it will be pretty flat/ nothing crazy) but I would like this kind of half tone/ grain effekt on the shadows.

I guess I probably need a custom shader for this.
So my main question is: What render engine should I use? 
I personally considered Octane (not too much experience in this yet) or even Unreal Engine (I know how to build shaders in this). 
But I wondered if people could recommend an engine or have some good advice on workflow. I am even open to using After Effects or similar for applying it in post. 
Basically not quite sure on what would be best practice here.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    By 'grain effect' I'm guessing that'll be the overall noise aesthetic depicted via your image?

And AE for example is known for 2d - 3d motion graphics/animation but in my opinion really dependant upon complexity so I'd suggest testing your scene through either a motion graphic, realtime or pre-rendered workflow to see what solution fits best 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What tool are you using for 3d modeling? 

If the end result is going to be a linear animation, then real-time is overkill, with all its workflow limits.

Probably best to render directly in your modeling app.
  • AranelJawbreaker
    Sorry maybe I hadn't really explained that the end result will be a rendered video, which will be displayed as a room projection.
    I never considered realtime because I needed it, only because making a custom shader in UE4 is literally the easiest thing on the planet compared to some other render engines.

I am working within Maya for modelling and considered using Octane (currently looking into how to get my hands on it as a student)
    I even considered importing into cinema4D because I know they supply octane as well.

I did some testing yesterday and I think I will either go with a shader in render engine or with a post effect applied on the rendered and edited video. those worked pretty well in the test.
    I was just curious if there was a simple straight forward answer to this question that would've spared me the fiddling in the end because it can be really time consuming.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know Octane, but if it is a path tracer, you could simply turn the sampling way down to get a noisy effect. Most renders try to optimize the noise away, but your situation is the opposite. You want more noise in the shadows, which should be really easy to achieve!