Home Technical Talk

Minecraft Raytraced

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
oglu polycount lvl 666
There is some really cool tech inside.
Maybe something to watch out in other games in the future.

http://youtu.be/s_eeWr622Ss

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool. Time get a RTX card I guess ;)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I totally want this in my game. And I'm really only taking so long to wait for RTX become the new standard.. This is absolutely the truth :trollface:

Thank you for posting!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Keep in mind that this is a special implementation(real-time path tracing) with close cooperation with nvidia, and we are looking at almost no geometry. Real world usage is still limited, and it will still take years until we see it implemented on this level in games  that has more graphics than cubes. I work with rtx in Unreal Engine a lot (due to my job). Enabling shadows, reflections, and gi at the same time immediately quarters the performance or worse, on any reasonable setting. 

Don't get me wrong, I like it too but it clearly shows how far we are still. On a budget but rtx capable videocard even this game kinda struggles to maintain proper performance.The 2060 is on the very edge. And while 2070 runs it fine on 1080p, thats a very expensive videocard, and until its like this, people will see the tech as something that only runs on expensive hardware, and even on that, it runs moderately. Either the price should go down somewhat, or the performance needs to be improved further to make people care. Prices of nvidia cards are pathetic anyways. At least in europe.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I guess this will get bit more traction with the new console generation and AMD moving to consumer RTX too. 

• janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    This reminds me about Chichu art museum in Naoshima, Japan..
    http://benesse-artsite.jp/en/art/chichu.html
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Well. Portfolio presentations are close to that nowadays. It needs to be the best thing ever.