Creating a character that will accompany the Legionnaire Titan
fanart I am working on. Going to make adjustments to make this "Irish-American" or "Irish" on the design. Original concept by Poji Chow.
Using the likeness of friend, Joe Coffey
, for this guy's head.
Going to see how far I can push this, especially with the head.
I feel like I'm constantly relearning or revalidating my hard surface workflow. Like, with difficult shapes, I feel like it still takes too long to Zbrush sketch the idea out and then retopologize it for the final high poly. Otherwise I have the planar blockout method, or using MOP Booleans which starts chugging when I want to export the final mesh out to Modo. If anyone knows of a faster technique, please let me know.
Also, to anyone reading this, no matter how far into your career you are, you're gonna want to keep a journal document of all the things you've learned. I find myself populating a OneNote journal with everything I've learned so I don't have to rely on my memory and instinct to keep it all in like a dumb hubris-filled person.
I'm at an impasse with the head and hair at the moment. Mostly feels like fidgeting with sliders instead of significant changes.
- The hair top at certain angles will seem to have weird shadows, but I don't know how much of this can't be helped given that it's a tuft that can be seen from all angles usually.
- Still debating how intensified I want the normal map on the face since more wrinkles would seem to help carve out and accentuate the face more.
, I'm gonna do that ear/neck fix at the end, because redoing the vellus hair to match the new topolgoy is a pain.