Home Adobe Substance

GPU rendering Substance Painter Iray possible?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KotBigimot polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

My pc has 16 gb ram. my graphics card (GeForce RTX 2080) has 8 gb as well. But when I render in Substance Painter my memory goes up to 98% at at some point. The CPU is maxed out, but my GPU is just sitting there at 0%.

Anybody know what i can do about it? I checked some settings but can't find any gpu rendering options. I do really like the look of Iray renders, so if there'd be a solution for this in Substance Painter I would be really happy with that. I'm still new with all of this so any tips and advice is welcome!

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Substance painter's Iray does use the GPU (unless you're using an older GPU), it doesn't show in you task manager because it uses Cuda cores (iirc, can't check on current pc). Under your Task manager's Performance tab, change the GPU's graph to show cores' performance and you should see some spikes.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Yes, the Taskmanager isnt a reliable source.
    Use GPUz instead.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If there are errors or the GPU flags something it will fail and revert to CPU. Output out the log from within SP and have a look in the text file for errors.
    This was happening to me because I had set the displacement subdivs way too high by mistake and the GPU ram maxed out without me knowing. I was able to see this in the log file.
    Make sure your GPU is enabled in the global settings. If you are rendering on a 2080 you should notice a significant speed increase.
  • KotBigimot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if now replying to one or all, but thanks a lot for the answers everybody. I didn't know task manager wasn't reliable, I'll try the suggested program.

Musashidan, how do I make sure my GPU is enabled in the global settings? Could you maybe give me a flowchart how to get there? That would be really helpful, i'm just very unfamiliar with this and wouldn't know how to google this specifically.

And also, how do I output out the log from within SP so i can check for errors?
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey KotBigimot, I'm pretty sure Iray is using your GPU, unless it's an old one. You can see under "Project Configurations", under Iray hardware whether it finds your GPU.

I've also checked my Task Manager and if you render it should show something under Cuda performance (make sure the graph is set to Cuda though):

I never had the error to which Musashidan refers, but it probably would show up in the render log, if none of the above shows any sign of your GPU being used you can always check for any errors there.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    To export a log text file go to help>support>export log>save the text file to drive. 
  • KotBigimot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To export a log text file go to help>support>export log>save the text file to drive. 

Thank you!
  • KotBigimot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi said:
    Hey KotBigimot, I'm pretty sure Iray is using your GPU, unless it's an old one. You can see under "Project Configurations", under Iray hardware whether it finds your GPU.

I've also checked my Task Manager and if you render it should show something under Cuda performance (make sure the graph is set to Cuda though):

I never had the error to which Musashidan refers, but it probably would show up in the render log, if none of the above shows any sign of your GPU being used you can always check for any errors there.

Wow, thanks so much! I'll look into this. Really appreciate the effort with the screenshots. So clarifying.Thanks a lot!