Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tokyo Metro Environment (UE4)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rezinekk polycounter lvl 5
Hello polycounters!

Here is my *late* submission for the EXP + DiNusty Cyberpunk challenge. I wish I could have finished it in time for submission but I started late so I just decided to carry on with it. I feel this is a quite big milestone for me as a project as it is a culmination of all the skills i have learnt over the years put together in one piece, there is of course things that need improvement but I am quite happy with how this came out. It would be great if you have some feedback on what could be improved for my next projects as I am always still learning :D

A slightly longer breakdown and some progress shots, movies can be seen here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GXrEZB

There is a blog of my progress and how the project has changed over time and you are interested please have a read!
https://www.konradbialowas.com/blog

Thank you all!

Replies

• Pirax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    Really nice, love the final two shots.Your lighting is also fantastic, great work! 
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax said:
    Really nice, love the final two shots.Your lighting is also fantastic, great work! 
    Thank you so much!
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a small clip to show the environment and made the metro train move as well :D!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_RbloKdPw
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just adding a few pictures of the breakdown including my master material, some of the materials I have created using Substance Designer for my own reference and use.

I have used a bump offset material for the windows so that when the camera moves - there is a little bit of parallax to make it more believable. 

I have found the SpeedTreeColour Variation node very useful as it changes colours depending on the location of the mesh - saves you making a tonne of material instances for different colours!
    I have blocked out one of the windows to give a improved effect to see what is happening.

What also has helped me greatly is the use of a macro tiling filter in my master material. This blends 3 different noise textures that have different UV tiling offsets that give a more rugged and dirty feeling. Very helpful especially in environments like this.

The master material graph

Macrotiling node in use. The variation textures can be changed depending on need. The function works in world space so that there is no alignment issues. 
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I feel with these types of environments it's always a challenge to make it so that there are some focal points, but also some places to rest the eyes.
    It's kinda hard to find a definite focal point here with so many neons and other lit up objects, but it looks very good still.
    The materials look really good.

Those parallax windows don't work that great imo, I don't know if you checked the Showdown VR Demo, they did it as well as it gets there.
    Try masking out the window frame, having it on a separate layer that won't move, and add more offset to the rest.
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl said:
    I feel with these types of environments it's always a challenge to make it so that there are some focal points, but also some places to rest the eyes.
    It's kinda hard to find a definite focal point here with so many neons and other lit up objects, but it looks very good still.
    The materials look really good.

Those parallax windows don't work that great imo, I don't know if you checked the Showdown VR Demo, they did it as well as it gets there.
    Try masking out the window frame, having it on a separate layer that won't move, and add more offset to the rest.
    Thanks for the awesome feedback, I see what you mean with the focal point. Before the train was there, that there was no focal point so I have added the train track to add some sort of perspective lines to fix that problem. 

I will check out the Showdown VR demo to try to get to a better point. Thanks for that as before with no bump mapping it looked just sort of strange.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Nice, loving it!
  • PedroCorreiaArtwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PedroCorreiaArtwork polycounter lvl 3
    I'm overwhelmed by the effort you put into all those nodes, I've been focusing only at modeling in the last year and I'm just now starting to give my first steps into this area.
    Also, I've been to Tokyo and oh man, you captured the mood really nice indeed. Kudos!
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm overwhelmed by the effort you put into all those nodes, I've been focusing only at modeling in the last year and I'm just now starting to give my first steps into this area.
    Also, I've been to Tokyo and oh man, you captured the mood really nice indeed. Kudos!
    Thank you for your kind words! Materials are really fun so I recommend having a play with them!
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    can you html this or something? I want to walk around hahaha