Home Unreal Engine

perforce and ue4?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
With everyone at home and the internet being slow/ problematic due to this, does one need to be connected to the main server at all times using perforce or one can get latest and work offline and later submit to the server? But I am assuming that if not connected, other team members would not know which asset has been checked out and they might edit it?  or are there other issues if source control isn't connected to server?

However, I do feel if every team member knows what they should work on, tampering with other people's assets should not occur at all  especially with something like asana and the likes saying who does what part.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Unfortunately it isn't this simple. There can be dependencies between files and sometimes when you change a thing in one of them, it will affect others. Like applying a material on a skeletal mesh that hasn't been applied on such a class, will enable a flag so you will need to submit both the mesh and the material even though you were working only on applying a material There are a lot of similar cases. You are not forced to always sync in other peoples work, so I don't see a problem with being connected all the time. At least you can properly check files out so people won't try to mess with them. This should have minimal impact on network speed.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    So u are saying u have to be connected all the time when working in ue4 using perforce, Working offline and submiting later isn't an option.