Home Technical Talk

Does we need to maintain all quad topology in commercials and films?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
It's been a couple of months since I am trying to learn 3D modeling for games but that technical process (retopo, UV and baking) doesn't wrap my head around and I got frustrated every single time after creating the high poly model. That's why I decided to focus more on commercials and films(animated or not doesn't matter) in which there would be less of this technical stuff. But I heard that you want to create with all quad topology, is that true or not?

I don't know if I am making the right decision or not because my ultimate goal is to be a character artist, but because there are more jobs for 3D modeling then characters, that's why I am going for it.

Replies

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Well, assets for "commercials and films" tends to require more quality than those for games.
    If you want to be a character artist, there are some things you must keep in your mind.

-You don't need good topology when sculpting, but good topology will help achieve better quality and make the work easier when sculpting.
    -You MUST have good topology when doing retopo on a character if its gonna be animated. Good Topology = better mesh deformation.
    -Non-animated assets GENERALLY don't need good topology and can have tris and quads. But again, if someone is gonna work on that asset, or polygon count is something to watch for, a nice topology is good practice (also, less baking errors).

In short, always aim for good topology, sometimes (depending on the job) you can relax a bit, sometimes you must nail it.
  • cracked_polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GlowingPotato I thought in most cases there is no need to bake while making assets for films or commercials
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Even if that were true (which it isn't, quite), you would still need good topology for the reasons described above. :)