Home General Discussion

How they made COD Remastered game?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jayantbhatt007 polycounter lvl 5
Hi right now so many game studios are releasing remastered version of their games. I have one doubt recently call of  duty Modern warfare 2 released remastered version  did they model each and everything from scratch Any idea?

If someone worked on this game please comment. Thanks 

Video Link Original VS Remastered  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqC1S_tbwTQ    

Replies

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    After watching that video, that guy is grating to listen to jeez. Man uses buzz words like sprinkles on ice cream. Since I can only offer speculation about the development. It seems like there was a lot that was remodeled but probably not entirely from scratch.

Using the old meshes as reference speeds up a lot in modeling phases and basically gives you fairly reliable starting points on most objects. Simple meshes were probably updated with increased density and some various area reworks and then fresh  new textures but anything that was super important or seen a lot was probably given a new model using old models as close reference.

A rough estimate of production time would be maybe starting development when the original was made backwards compatible. Probably before that though in 2018. So assuming a rough estimate of ~2 years development cycle this is on par with a lot that the COD franchise pushes out. Having some models ready on hand from the recent modern warfare release was probably a big help as well as I am sure there is a lot more overlap between those two games then there are in this versus the original.

Remasters are happening because a lot of the people that were kids when these things came out are now adults and game tech has gotten phenomenally better. Seeing something remastered that you remember being good in your childhood and being better now is a safe bet in a lot of circumstances.

Also  I doubt anyone from development will be able to discuss the game in an open forum this close to its release unfortunately.
  • jayantbhatt007
    Offline / Send Message
    jayantbhatt007 polycounter lvl 5
    zachagreg said:
    After watching that video, that guy is grating to listen to jeez. Man uses buzz words like sprinkles on ice cream. Since I can only offer speculation about the development. It seems like there was a lot that was remodeled but probably not entirely from scratch.

Using the old meshes as reference speeds up a lot in modeling phases and basically gives you fairly reliable starting points on most objects. Simple meshes were probably updated with increased density and some various area reworks and then fresh  new textures but anything that was super important or seen a lot was probably given a new model using old models as close reference.

A rough estimate of production time would be maybe starting development when the original was made backwards compatible. Probably before that though in 2018. So assuming a rough estimate of ~2 years development cycle this is on par with a lot that the COD franchise pushes out. Having some models ready on hand from the recent modern warfare release was probably a big help as well as I am sure there is a lot more overlap between those two games then there are in this versus the original.

Remasters are happening because a lot of the people that were kids when these things came out are now adults and game tech has gotten phenomenally better. Seeing something remastered that you remember being good in your childhood and being better now is a safe bet in a lot of circumstances.

Also  I doubt anyone from development will be able to discuss the game in an open forum this close to its release unfortunately.
    Hi thank you so much for the information. :)