Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beach Scene Development

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
anguedrew polycounter lvl 4
Here is a thread where I'll constantly update on a Beach scene I'm currently working on Unreal Engine. This is a scene where I'm continually learning all of UE4's environment art arsenal,from sophisticated material creation and particle system. I still have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward for yall tip out there!! KEEP ART'in EVERYONE!!! :smiley:

Replies

• anguedrew
  • anguedrew
  • anguedrew
  • anguedrew
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Your grass is looking kind of weird. It's too planar. Perhaps Longer thinner grass, of different heights and directions would suit the scene better.

• anguedrew
    Offline / Send Message
    Your grass is looking kind of weird. It's too planar. Perhaps Longer thinner grass, of different heights and directions would suit the scene better.

This was actually my first choice, but I guess this type of grass kinda pushed me to populate the scene so much just to make it look dense. The level of thinness of this grass kinda signaled me to use a texture resolution so big I was compromising a good chunk of my fps.

The texture resolution for the grass-texture I'm currently using  is 512x512. I'd like to keep it to that size actually. Maybe some other design though without going overboard with that res limit.

Ohw and not to mention using that type of grass kinda ended up looking too realistic for the overall aesthetic of the level. Felt kinda off . I do like a sense of realism, but I'm most confident its not what I'm aiming at 100%.

One newb question though, is 512x512 smart? Or am I cutting myself too short? Is it normal to use 1024X1024 on 5in-height worth of grass, or is that too much as well? Been itching myself with this question for awhile now.

Thank you so much for that insight man! Highly appreciated. HAPPY ARTIN!!!
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    If you do decide to try this kind of grass again, I think the texture res is a secondary concern. 512 should be plenty though. The big thing is to make sure you cut out as much of the empty space between grass blades as possible so that you don't get massive quad overdraw.
    Otherwise, I think the stylized grass you have now could still use some variation in height, length, direction, and curve to break up the silhouette more. So they look less like a field of green eyelashes. 
  • anguedrew
    Offline / Send Message
    If you do decide to try this kind of grass again, I think the texture res is a secondary concern. 512 should be plenty though. The big thing is to make sure you cut out as much of the empty space between grass blades as possible so that you don't get massive quad overdraw.
    Otherwise, I think the stylized grass you have now could still use some variation in height, length, direction, and curve to break up the silhouette more. So they look less like a field of green eyelashes. 
    Hey! I applied what you said. I think what made the first one(before my plane looking cards) looked bad was because I forced myself making the grass cluster in Substance Designer. It felt kinda forced or something. But now, I made the new grass's cluster in Speed Tree and boy did I got flexible in trying to heed your advice. :smile:

Modeled the grass strands bending multiple trunks. Then I rendered the cluster. Ohw and I replaced my ground boulders, I kinda got irked with the sharp edges. LOL

THANK YOU MA DUDE!!! :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9r-IsHerzs