Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci Fi generator (or something)

Benjammin
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Benjammin greentooth
Hey polycounters,
Like many of you, I'm in lockdown right now. On top of that, I was made redundant from my first real game-dev job... 
So, after a bit of feeling sorry for myself, I started some new portfolio work. Nothing new was really clicking, so I had a hunt through my hard drive for old, unfinished projects, and came up with this:

It was something I had built to teach myself Zmodeler, then abandoned for reasons I can't recall. So in the last few days I finished up the low-poly and started texture work in SP. 

I'm envisioning it as some kind of electromagnetic generator - those rings would spin around the central core.
I've just been adding extra detail with alphas, but I'm trying to be cautious about it and not drown the form of it. Also not sure about the painted areas, so any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks everyone - stay safe and healthy.

P.S.: I know I can add my extra detail to the AO map with the MatFX HBAO filter - is there anything similar that will add it to the curvature map as well? I was going to export the new normal out and reimport to generate a new curvature, but if there's a better way to do it I'd love to know. Cheers :)

Replies