Home Technical Talk

Does Baking remove the weird Shading of the weird faces.

Hello I am making a gun for my game, but it's impossible to perforate holes in a cylinder, without destroying the shading, so I have to make It High poly. But the polycount is too high, and I'm getting to think if I retopologize it for a low-poly with weird faces for the perforated ovals. Does baking it in Substance painter remove the Weird shading? Im using blender to model it, and bake it in Substance painter from High Poly to Low Poly with the weird faces. My English isn't so good but I hope you guys get what Im saying when the shading of the faces look triangulated and angled ridiculouslyn

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Option A: holes are done via alpha mask if you need to keep the polycount low
    Option B: holes are done via geometry (like in your pic). The amount of polys is directly bound to the amount of roundness you want to achieve

In any case the shading should probably not be an issue except you do something else wrong. How about posting a pic of this very weird weirdness you are talking about?
    Because the pic you posted is probably showing the good highpoly you are talking about.
  • Wulf1045
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    To add onto the previous answers - yes, baking will remove the weird shading, but it is not ideal. At this that point, your normal map will have the very same artifacts in it, which exists to counter the shading issues you have in your lowpoly. So now, your shading is extremely dependent on the integrity of the normal map, which isn't very much integrity once its compressed/mipped/down-rezed. 

Ideally, you want your LP to have as minimal shading issues as possible, and not rely on a bake to solve it.